Which is your favourite decimal Guernsey set?

Started by <k>, September 25, 2017, 06:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite decimal Guernsey set?

Series 1: 1968 to 1984
0 (0%)
Series 2: 1985 to date
0 (0%)
I like both equally
0 (0%)
Actually, I would like a mixture of the two
2 (100%)
I don't like either
0 (0%)
Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: October 02, 2017, 06:17:53 PM

<k>

The first Guernsey decimal set began in 1968, with the issue of the 5 pence and the 10 pence. Their Guernsey lily and cow designs were taken directly from the predecimal designs of 1956. All these designs were created by Paul Vincze.

The 1970s saw the release of the remaining coins. The half penny showed only the denomination, so it was a disappointment. The penny featured a gannet (Morus bassanus), representing Alderney. The windmill of the 2 pence represented Sark. The ducal cap of the Duke of Normandy appeared on the 50 pence, and this design was provided by Sir Anthony Wagner.

1981 and 1983 saw the release of two different pound coins, featuring Guernsey lilies and HMS Crescent respectively. A traditional Guernsey milk can appeared on the 20 pence coin of 1982.

In 1985, Guernsey released a new design series, to appeal to collectors. The coat of arms on the obverse was replaced by a portrait of the Queen, though with very small coat of arms next to her head. You can see all the designs in this topic:  Milestones in the decimal coinage of Guernsey.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Personally, I would go for these designs from Robert Elderton's 1985 set:

Nice crab.

Superb design.

I would put this gannet from the old penny on the small 5 pence coin instead.

I don't much like the modern tomatoes design on the 10 pence.

I would replace it with the windmill from the old 2 pence - a fine design.

I was very fond of the old 20 pence design. The new one (finance) lacks character.

Guernsey 50p 1990.jpg

I prefer the modern 50 pence design to the old ducal cap.

I don't like the rather boring pound coin with the pound note detail (pound sign).

That just leaves the 1983 pound coin, a fine design of a ship.

Lilies already appear on my mixture-set 50 pence.

We don't need a halfpenny these days, and there was no choice anyway, since there was only one design.

I'm not much taken with the 2 pound coin, and the islanders don't much like 2 pound coins anyway.

I'd therefore happily exclude it.

So, above you see my ideal set.  8)

In fact, on second thoughts, I'd probably prefer to keep the old penny and put the crab on the 5 pence.

Alan71

Yes, similar, though I quite like the cow that appeared on the 1968-84 10p and earlier 3d.  I'd like to see the ducal cap from the previous 50p somewhere (though not on the 50p).  I agree the current 5p, 20p and £1 are a bit boring.  The £2 is a good idea (the Guernsey flag with the coat of arms as the security device) but it's poorly executed.

I liked how the earlier series represented Sark (windmill on 2p) and Alderney (gannets on the 1p).  I can't see anything specifically for those islands in the current series, even though they all have to use them.

africancoins

If I had arrived a day sooner I would have voted... and my vote would have been with Series 2.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

<k>

Quote from: africancoins on October 04, 2017, 12:36:18 AM
If I had arrived a day sooner I would have voted... and my vote would have been with Series 2.

I'd afraid I shall have to fine you a third of a Guernsey farthing for lateness. Were you on holiday? Well, only three of us voted (or wanted to), which is rather disappointing. But still, the "mixture" wins.  8)