20 Francs (1994): Pierre de Coubertin

Started by Bimat, March 30, 2017, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Yet another nice coin I got through eBay... :)

I do not think any other country except France and Monaco has issued a circulating tri-metallic coin. Am I right?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Maybe there are non-circulating tri-metallic pieces, but this one circulated. I remember spending them. Yours is nicely preserved, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

natko

To my knowing, yes, there are no other circulation coins than 20 FRF that are trimetallic. Although, technically, it's two metals - center and the outer rim have the same composition.

This is second commemorative of the general series, which turned out to be harder in Unc condition than these comms itself.
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10.html

BTW, French circulation coins from the period confuse me. While I assume 50 francs 1974-1979 circulated, but not very widely, some example of the newer 100 francs show circulation characteristics, too. Were they even sold at FV?

Figleaf

I have never seen any Hercules coins in circulation. The 5 francs obviously were circulation coins. The 10 francs variant is widely reported to have been included in cash pension payments through post offices. They served as a hidden increase in pensions, as they were issued at face, but could be sold over face. However, many likely ended up in the purses of grandchildren.

The 50 francs Hercules may have been available at the offices of the Banque de France at face, like the (smaller) 100 francs commemorative series that followed them. None of these would be found in circulation. After the numismatic service of the Banque de France was abolished, some types could be bought at face in designated post offices. Their mintage was too small, so they sold above face as soon as they were sold out.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Good to know that these tri-metallic coins actually circulated. :) Did anyone ever receive similar Monegasque 20F coins in change?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

natko

I forgot to mention them in my previous post but surely, they were basically the same currency. So, I am sure somebody did receive it somewhere. I remember getting a Monegasque Franc in a bakery in Gap in 2001.

For 50Fr, mintage was 4-12 million each year, so I thought it really did circulate. By circulation I mean it can be accepted anywhere, like our 25kn coins for instance. They are scarce but absolutely circulation pieces.

Bimat

Somehow, I always assumed that Monegasque (pre euro) coins did not circulate to a great extent. Good to know that they actually circulated... :)

Aditya

natko

Same applies for pre-euro San Marino and Vatican coins in Italy. These were much more common than you would think actually. With the euros came all the hype and market rigging.

chrisild

The hype is mostly gone, now that they (VA, SM) are required by law to also make circulation coins. However, the "lira area" never issued any coins with such a tri-metallic appearance. Don't think I (as a tourist) ever came across the Coubertin piece in circulation, but  the regular (Mont-Saint-Michel) coin I did use and do like a lot. :)

Christian

Figleaf

I would imagine that any Monegasque coins would have circulated in the South of France. I travelled there regularly, never failed to ask the concierge in the expensive hotels I was lodged in for Monegasque coins, but the answer was always that they had never seen them in circulation. I didn't find any either.

I do remember that some people could sometimes pick them (mostly 1 and 2 euros, never the 1, 2 and 5 centimes) up from helpful (i.e. not in Paris) Banque de France offices, even after the numismatic windows were closed. I suppose that by now even that source is no longer available.

Peter

Globetrotter

Hi,

I have the 1992 and 1997 20 francs from Monaco and they are in XF- conditions, so they certainly circulated. BTW I got them during a 2 year stay in Aix-en-Provence a couple of hundred kilometers from Monaco.

I also have all the 20 francs from France also the Mediterian Games and the Coubertin coins, but none in unc, only au, so they all circulated at a certain time.

The 50 francs in silver I have gotten twice in a super market in Paris, so some of them came into circulation. In those days pensioned people could get one each month, when they changed their check! I suppose poor pensioned people would use them, when the end of the month was reached and they had no more money on their accounts!!!!

Ole

Bimat

Quote from: Globetrotter on April 01, 2017, 06:04:22 PM
The 50 francs in silver I have gotten twice in a super market in Paris, so some of them came into circulation. In those days pensioned people could get one each month, when they changed their check! I suppose poor pensioned people would use them, when the end of the month was reached and they had no more money on their accounts!!!!

Interesting theory! :)

My friends in Italy regularly find Vatican 50c or San Marino 50c and €1 coins in change. This was certainly not the case until 2010/2011 though, when the rules were amended.

Monegasque euro coins seem to be most illusive as far as their circulation is concerned. Monaco indeed issued over a million copies of €2 UN commemorative in 2013, but I'm yet to hear someone who has found it in circulation!!!

Aditya

Globetrotter

Hi,

the 2013 (UN admission, km200) from Monaco I got in my golf club for face value, so some circulated the whole way to Normandy (1500 kms from Monaco)!

Ole