News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Exhibition of Indian Coat of Arms at CSMVS

Started by Bimat, September 08, 2015, 05:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

HISTORY REVISITED

By Reema Gehi, Mumbai Mirror | Sep 8, 2015, 12.00 AM IST

This week, the CSMVS will be exhibiting a unique collection of over 70 Indian coats of arms.

This Wednesday, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS) in Fort will host a unique exhibition titled 'Indian Coat of Arms', which celebrates a collection reminiscent of India once-upon-a-time.

Curated by city-based numismatist Anuj Pakvasa, who is also a life member of the Museum Society of Bombay, the show has on display over 70 objects from his personal collection.

Pakvasa, 68, has the collection on display at his Tardeo residence. "My father, Arvind Pakvasa, was an internationally-renowned collector of postal stamps. He inspired and encouraged me to collect coins. I realised that many of these coins were embellished with coat of arms, so I started collecting them in metal."

Painstakingly put together over 25 years, Pakvasa's collection comprises medals, coins, brooches, letterheads with coats of arms of princely states, zamindar families (some of them were also permitted to have their own coat of arms like the princely states) and "cities like Bombay and Calcutta which had their own coat of arms."

Unfortunately, he says, very few know about coats of arms and their origins. "I hope to highlight this littleknown aspect of India's history through these symbols of royalty and authority," Pakvasa said.

[...]

Source: Mumbai Mirror
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

According to CSMVS website, the exhibition is open to tall till October 09, 2015 at the Curator's Gallery.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.