News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Bimetallic Coins

Started by Bimat, December 29, 2008, 09:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Hi all,
Yesterday I got Error United Kingdom 2 Pounds bimetallic dated 1998.The central Cupro-nickel ring is slightly shifted.However,the dealer was unaware of this error,and I got the coin for a price even less than face value ;)
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

The interest of an error strike is to find out what has gone wrong. Have you been able to do tha? What exactly do you mean by "shifted"? Has the pill changed its position in the ring? Is the die not centered on the coin?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Quote from: Figleaf on January 12, 2009, 07:32:42 PM
The interest of an error strike is to find out what has gone wrong. Have you been able to do tha? What exactly do you mean by "shifted"? Has the pill changed its position in the ring? Is the die not centered on the coin?

Peter
Hi Peter,
The error in the coin is that the distance between the outer edge of Nickel-Brass ring and the outer edge of central Cupro-nickel ring on one side is greater than the other side.That is what I mean by "shifted".Well,I am also searching why does this type of error occur,but I couldn't get specific information related to "Error bimetallic coins" except that for "Blank Bimetallic Euros".
I will try to post the photo here,but I am not getting a clear image of coin where we can observe the error.If I get a clear image,I will surely post it here.
I attended a coin fair in Pune this Sunday,and I saw some superb error coins there,right from ancient to modern.However,the prices were too high(as expected),but I really enjoyed it.Can anybody start a discussion on Error Coins here(Why does an error occur,types of error,probability of production of error coin etc)?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  You can see a Canadian bimetallic $2 error coin up on http://www.leagueofnations.net .Does your British 2 Pounds error coin look like that?

Aidan.

Bimat

Quote from: BC Numismatics on January 13, 2009, 07:44:43 AM
Aditya,
  You can see a Canadian bimetallic $2 error coin up on http://www.leagueofnations.net .Does your British 2 Pounds error coin look like that?

Aidan.
Hi Aidan,
My British Pound is not like that Canadian 2 Dollars.The central Cupro-nickel ring is shifted.There is no extra-metal or something like that.
Aditya.

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  Have you thought about joining a few numismatic galleries,& uploading some photos,such as your British 2 Pounds error coins onto it? You can get some ideas from the links in the signature line of my postings,especially the gallery at http://www.mycoinpictures.com .

Aidan.

Bimat

Hi Aidan,
I saw your collection on the links which you have given,and I must say that you have got an amazing collection of British Commonwealth Countries :).I am not a member of such numismatic galleries,but I will think of joining one.But it takes much time in taking photos of coins,uploading them etc etc..That is the reason why I haven't uploaded pics of my collection.

Aditya.

africancoins

Here is a coin that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

izotz

I was about to post that a friend of mine has an online catalag of bimetallic coins, but I'm afraid that chrisild did it first ;D :
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,2452.0.html

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Let me remind you that it is absolutely free, lots of pics, mintage informations, all over the world countries covered.

It is intended to be an useful tool for collectors.

It is written in Spanish, but you may find it easy to understand. If you do not understand some specific word, please ask. You may report any incorrect data for further editions.

He had a bad experience in the past, as somebody wanted to sell it in eBay. If you make any copy of it, or you send it to a friend, you should keep it free and mention the source / URL where you got it from.

You can download it from his web :
http://www.alfonso.saussol.name/

You have a link on : "Catalogo de bimetalicas, pincha aquí para bajarte el catálogo"

Direct link (66.2 Mb) :
http://www.alfonso.saussol.name/catalogo/Catalogo%20de%20bimetalicas%20gratuito.pdf

You will have a lot of fun with the new 2€ conmemorative coins!!!

Regards.

BC Numismatics

Welcome aboard,izotz!

I remember you from Coin Talk.

What bimetallic coins are you interested in,apart from 1 & 2 Euro coins?

Aidan.

izotz

Good memory! I usually read Coin Talk posts, but my little contributions have  mostly been limited to the world / euro section.

I must admit I am not focused on bimetallics, although I like them. My best choices, would be of course, the 2 euro coins. They have a mix of both things I like : euros and bimetallics. And some of them have good designs for me. You can get most of them for not much more than their face value so that it makes sense for a collector.

Anyway, I have some other in my collection database. France , UK (2 pounds collection is nice for me) ... none of them rare, I suppose. Although there is a big tradition in other countries like Thailand, I prefer those kind of designs.

I'm afraid that many of bimetallics are just medals for me, not coins, so that part is not so interesting for me.

Bimat

This is really an amazing coin!I need this coin for my collection,but unfortunately most of the Ebay listings have disappeared for this coin and rest are really too expensive.
What is the meaning of the words "AFRIKA BORWA" (which appear on the coin)?
Aditya.

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  The coin with 'AFRIKA BORWA' is from South Africa.The only bimetallic coin from there so far is the 5 Rand.

Aidan.

chrisild

Let me add that "Afrika Borwa" is the name of the country in one (actually two) of South Africa's 11 official languages - SePedi and SeSotho.

Christian

BC Numismatics

My boss is going to be on the look-out for a range of British Commonwealth coins for me when he is away in Berlin to do the coin show over there.Among the coins he will definitely be getting is the E.M.U. commemorative 2 Euros from Cyprus,Ireland,& Malta.Of course,he will be on the look out for coins such as the bimetallic 1 & 2 Naira from Nigeria,& the 500 Leones from Sierra Leone.

Aidan.