News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ugly Coins

Started by chrisild, January 12, 2012, 11:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Ugliest coin? Ha, I have something for you. No sports involved though.

(Image: Schimmer/ma-shops)

Christian

Prosit

I own that coin.
Not as bad in hand but still a design that had potential that it didn't live up to
Dale

Quote from: chrisild on January 12, 2012, 11:06:57 AM
Ugliest coin? Ha, I have something for you. No sports involved though.

Christian

Figleaf

It is about as interesting as TV.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

What a pathetic design. I'm glad not to have it! :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Alan Glasser

Wow...the Fernsehen coin is truly a BAD idea gone wild! As they say on this side of the pond, "That sucker is BUTT UGLY"! Couldn't they have at least something on the screen...like Micky Mouse?

Figleaf

To the French, this is their ugliest coin. They think the portrait resembles that of a cartoon American Indian chief.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on January 13, 2012, 05:07:57 PM
To the French, this is their ugliest coin. They think the portrait resembles that of a cartoon American Indian chief.

Oh no, that cannot be their ugliest coin. That is one that I bought from you at the Amsterdam gathering. ;D  Well, last year the mint tried to make up for it, and issued this one, with an interesting "hammered" effect.

Christian

Prosit

@chrisild & Figleaf

I like both of those coins although the one Christian shows is uglier.
Dale

Figleaf

At least you got a coin that was once issued at face value, Christian and maybe the only French coin devoted to a Belgian hero >:D. You mean Charlemagne's nose was hammered into his face on the second piece? I wonder what Amnesty International will have to say about that.

Peter

Alan Glasser

Speaking of butt ugly coins, (maybe this should be a new category?), I'm in Palau KM 287. Now don't get me wrong...I understand that Palau has some very historically significant coins; "Ingrown toenail of King Henry Vlll", "The 100th anniversary of elastic underwear", "Famous Mosquitos in history", things like that...but KM 287 certainly has particular appeal and numismatic significance...am I missing something...because I sure as hell don't see it.  Alan...too many chocolate cookies...maybe I had better change to cheese popcorn and a beer???   :P

Prosit

I really think you guys are confusing ugly with BORING!

As someone, that when young, always had a soft spot in my heart for ugly girls....I can tell you thate is a big difference  rotflol  >:D

Dale

malj1

I think this one is the worlds ugliest - or is it just plain childish?

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Prosit

Looks like the second from the left is pregnant.
Childish? Definitely which can have its own charm.
Ugly? I am undecided about that...

I hate to say it and God bless her but this is a ugly coin and I own one just like it.
I am NOT going to say how much I paid as y'all will think me crazier than you already do.

Dale

Quote from: malj1 on January 15, 2012, 10:03:20 PM
I think this one is the worlds ugliest - or is it just plain childish?

Afrasi

translateltd

Quote from: Afrasi on January 16, 2012, 12:16:18 AM
Who's that guy?

Didn't he also sit for the 1913-38 nickel, with a slightly different hairstyle?