News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

coin collecting from e-bay.

Started by vicky1989, October 01, 2011, 05:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

There are dealers who routinely sell lots and also coins by weight.........Visit the coin fairs in your area and you are sure to spot one. However, please remember that a dealer will always remove the interesting coins or the rare ones before selling the junk in lots or by weight. The only way to get lucky here is to move from one dealer to another during the fairs, mentally make notes of the dealers special interest and then after a few fairs, ask him for material which are not his focus areas...... or in areas where his knowledge is limited. I have always been able to find bargains there.........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Prosit

I bought 10 kilos (not on eBay) of random coins.  I was pleased with the lot as I am fairly new to general world coin collecting and consequently there were a lot of coins I didn't have. I have collected coins from a few countries for a long time but that was my first bulk general world coin purchase.

The guy I bought them from routinely sells or did sell lots on eBay.  For collectors that have a lot of coins and have collected a long time...I doubt these bulk purchases would be a good deal.  But for me it worked out ok and I might even buy another batch someday.
Dale

brokencompass

From my experience, getting a bulk lot of coins would make a really fun project. When I started collecting coins, such a lot appealed a lot to me and I bought over 70 pounds of coins, sorted through them, looked up catalog values, etc. Over a period of time I realized that I had no idea what I wanted from all the coins. First I asked myself why I wanted to collect and what appealed to me the most. So I picked a couple of countries that I thought was interesting and started buying those coins. Some people collect a type set from every country. Some people collect fakes. Some people collect for investment. Ask yourself what you want to do and then buy these coins.

If you decide to buy a bulk lot of coins, I would suggest give a bunch of dealers a try, check their feedback, ask them questions, state your preferences, etc. See what works best for you and proceed accordingly. It's unfortunately a trial and error game.
My goal for 2017 is to finish finish my British India copper collection (1/4 anna, 1/2 Pice and 1/12 anna) by year and Mintmark. Any help with missing coins in BU grades is highly appreciated.
https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/MySets_Listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=130880

andyg

one little trick with ebay is to look through the sellers feedback.
If they regularly sell coins then any bulk they may have will have been thoroughly searched, especially if it has been labelled by the seller as "TREASURE" or "RARE"

If the seller has no history of selling coins - you may get something worthwhile, more likely you won't but at least you stand a better chance.  I once did get a Russian rouble from 1765 this way :o
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Coinsforever

AFAIK it is thumb rule that if interested in world coins  try to buy it from rummage tray  labelled - foregin coins  which all dealers generally offer during coins fairs/exhibitions  usually buying a lot of foreign coins is cheap (exception are there) in others countries except country of origin .

For example : In India one may notice  that most of world coins are not much expensive in comparison to Indian coins .

No experience of buying such lots from ebay.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

redwine

I did a rather large experiment on ebay last month.  I even had a little spreadsheet of how many coins to expect and cents per coin paid  8)
Definitely, check feedback.  Are they a coin dealer?  The answer is probably.
Don't expect any silver or gold.  Although I have had a few silver coins.
There's a lot of flim-flam on ebay.  Advertising twaddle.  Don't believe a word of it.  Unsorted, pah!  Discovered in a cellar.  Pah!  I know nothing about coins.  Pah! Etc.....
But even dealers don't know what they are selling.  I have found some very interesting coins from these recent lots ;D  They don't seem to bother checking low denominations.

'Collectors' are the worst.  A recent purchase of a bunch of silver coins was worth the silver only, which is no bad thing, the key coin having been mounted.  If I had been selling it I'd have mentioned that.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

vicky1989

THANK YOU ALL FOR SUGGEST ME ABOUT THIS MATTER.   

vicky1989

Quote from: brokencompass on October 03, 2011, 10:41:49 PM

If you decide to buy a bulk lot of coins, I would suggest give a bunch of dealers a try, check their feedback, ask them questions, state your preferences, etc. See what works best for you and proceed accordingly. It's unfortunately a trial and error game.
CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME THE DEALERS DETAILS WHICH YOU SUGGEST IN UR POST ?

FosseWay

My experience of buying bulk lots off eBay has been better than that of buying them from dealers, for precisely the reason mentioned upthread: dealers will root through the lot first and remove anything valuable. I started buying coins on eBay about 10 years ago and back then there were lots of people selling random lots who didn't have the time, inclination or knowledge to remove specific items (apart, possibly, from separating out obviously old gold and silver). My best purchase of this kind was 10 kg for £50, which worked out at about 3p per coin. This was fairly early on in my time of collecting general world coins, so a good proportion even of the more or less worthless stuff was of interest to me, but the lot also contained all manner of unusual pieces. A Commonwealth half-groat, several German States coins, German East Africa, EIC India etc. spring to mind.

I think now that more non-dealers are using eBay as an active way of making money, rather than just getting rid of unwanted stuff, and are going to the trouble of researching whatever it is they're selling. This is obviously made easier by having more information available on the internet. They will then sell interesting pieces separately and these will obviously find their current market rate. I'd still recommend world bulk lots off eBay for anyone interested in collecting general modern world coins who doesn't have very many already.

Figleaf

Early in my collecting life I bought bulk lots. My method was to go for the very largest lots offered (1000 or 2000 coins) where the seller claimed they were all different. I would buy them with two collecting friends. We would split the lot by choosing one coin in turn until only the rubbish was left, which was divided equally among us. My experience is that it is a good way to start a collection of modern international coins, but very  quickly, you are buying too many duplicates and rummage trays are a better approach.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.