In 1880, three islands were created in Amsterdam near the South bank of the river IJ. They would support the Amsterdam central railway station and its access lines. However, because of noise and steam engine smoke, the islands remained otherwise empty until around 1910. In 1914, architect H.G. Jansen, designed a nicely decorated building voor Verenigd Cargadoors Kantoor (VCK) United Ship brokers Office, a combination of shipping agents and brokers from Amsterdam and Rotterdam, established in 1916. Photo: Google Maps.
Around 1950, VCK expanded into air freight and business travel. Today, that is the only part of VCK that still remains.