Author Topic: Sets with all sub-unit denominations in words  (Read 8418 times)

paisepagal

Re: Sets with all sub-unit denominations in words
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 04:01:12 AM »
Should I duck here because of those flying bullets? ;D  Come on, guys. Yes, I find the exclusive use of words to indicate the face value of circulation coins to be quite unwelcoming too. (And I am primarily thinking of tourists, not immigrants.) But this is not such a terribly big deal, right? Have a few drinks, read a good book, not necessarily in that order, and gripe about the lousy weather instead. Now that is a worthy subject ...

Christian

Oh sorry, can't gripe about the weather here, it's fantastic !  ;D. If you take Thai coins for instance, it wouldn't matter if they are inscribed with words or numbers, it all looks... Well like Thai to me  :). So as a tourist in one of the most tourist welcoming countries on earth; it's just easy to ask some random person off the street. I don't think the govt is contemptuous through it's coins...now if we turn our attention to the Indian govt ...Peter has a solid case  >:D

Offline villa66

• Meritorious Member
Re: Sets with all sub-unit denominations in words
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »
It's a shame this topic got sidetracked by the "contemptuous" comment, which, by the way, I think is wildly off base. (Not least for what I think is its rank inaccuracy.) But more than that, I think there was a good chance missed for a discussion of words versus numbers on coins from a design perspective. Depending on how a number is executed, it can really make or break the coin--or so take over a coin side that it becomes the obverse rather than the reverse as convention (or official intent) might otherwise have dictated.

My own opinion is that numbers should be used with special care, and with an appreciation for their intrinsic pictorial qualities. ("Pictorial" presents itself because of some of <k>'s excellent recent explorations of coin design.)

Likewise, I think words on coins--even those in denominations--should be appreciated for the way they express a particular national and cultural perspective, as well as the design sense that flows therefrom. To do otherwise, I think, is to miss an opportunity.

:) v.