Author Topic: Aurangzeb rupee, Dar al-Zafar Bijapur, RY 31 KM#300.23  (Read 1168 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Aurangzeb rupee, Dar al-Zafar Bijapur, RY 31 KM#300.23
« on: May 20, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
Here's another coin from the depths of my cabinet, I always read the mint as Rajapur but I can't seem to find this coin in KM with this mint name,  no date, year 31   weight 11.10,  several chop marks on edge

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:51:41 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Aurangzeb rupee of Rajapur?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
The mint is Bijapur, with the epithet 'Dar al-Zafar'.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Aurangzeb rupee of Rajapur?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »
Thanks for that, I always presumed the word began with  R or is it a D but didn't realise that wasn't part of the mint name  :'(
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Aurangzeb rupee Mint: Bijapur RY 31 KM#300.23
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
A reply by Oesho on Zeno giving information on the coins of Bijapur:

For these specific rupees see the article in the ONS Newsletter #158 (p.22-23) "Rupees of Bijapur dated 1091H. in the name of Aurangzeb Alamgir".

Bijapur capitulated to the Mughal forces of 12 September 1686 (AH1097). A week after the capitulation Aurangzeb entered the city and beautiful commemorative rupees with the epithet Dar al-Zafar (Abode of Victory) were struck. The earliest dated are AH1097/Ry.30.

Rupees without epithet were struck from 1680 (AH1091, which date became frozen on the coins) by Sikander Shah of Bijapur as acknowledgement of the Great Mughal.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:07 AM »
Doesn't this mean that technically this coin is an issue of Bijapur (a Bijapur which was feudatory to Aurangzeb) and not a Moghul coin? 
richie

akona20

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:55 AM »
We have had this technical discussion before on different coins. It is my belief that a coin is described as adequately as possible, ruler, mint, date etc and then the collector or other can decide in their view of history where the coin actually sits.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:47:10 AM »
Doesn't this mean that technically this coin is an issue of Bijapur (a Bijapur which was feudatory to Aurangzeb) and not a Moghul coin? 
richie

Richie, this is a coin of the era after Bijapur fell to the Mughals... 1097 RY 30. This is a coin of RY 31.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »
We have had this technical discussion before on different coins. It is my belief that a coin is described as adequately as possible, ruler, mint, date etc and then the collector or other can decide in their view of history where the coin actually sits.

I agree partly. If the coin is adequately described and read, it is up to the collector to classify the coin. How ever, I personally believe that if history is well documented, the coin should definitely be attributed to the issuing authority with a remark indicating the name of the titular head of state. In case of the later and the last Mughals, they had control over very little of the country. It was only the respect of the dynasty that the coins were issued with the name of the current Mughal monarch on them.

Amit