News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ghiyath al-Din Ahmad Shah III, Tanka, AH961. Mint probably Ahmedabad G&G G513

Started by asm, May 14, 2011, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

A silver Tanka of 96 rati standard dated AH 961, Minted probably at Ahmedabad. I believe it is G&G G513 and was minted only during AH 961 & 962. Please confirm.

I see some file marks on one image. (I some how managed to delete the other side scan which I will post a while later). Is the coin wort keeping? The Tanka's of the Gujarat sultans are not easy to come across and I was advised that since this one was available at a lower price (almost 40% discount), it is worth it.

Amit

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Figleaf

Not sure if they are file marks. If they are, this is the first instance of sweating I see on Indian coins. My impression is that this coin spent quite a few centuries in streaming water, acquiring a layer of hard dirt, that was forcibly removed. Normally, this would leave a pitted surface, but streaming water could have caused this pattern.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Harsh cleaning!  >:(
With the wonderful assistance of G/G, these coins are so much fun to read.  So, with huge discounts, I'd be tempted to collect them too if I couldn't find better examples of the type. 
On the other hand, I see the point of patient collecting. Thanks to Oesho, over the past few years, I have developed an appreciation for "better" coins.
Am I becoming a snob?
richie 

asm

Quote from: Rangnath on May 14, 2011, 08:09:10 PM
Thanks to Oesho, over the past few years, I have developed an appreciation for "better" coins.
Am I becoming a snob?
richie 

Well I can say the same thing. Oesho and Salvete have helped a lot in understanding the type of coins that look good in a collection and are collectable. A couple of years back, around the time I joined WoC, I used to pick up mainly cheap junk. Most of my earlier Mughal coins were coins without dates, without mints and in a few cases even without a trace of the rulers name. I picked them up because they were cheap. I have now understood the way a coin should be read and collected and now really enjoy the new picks..... Same with the Bengal & Dehli Sultan coins. During a recent visit to Ahmedabad, Oesho was kind enough to spare time and go through my collection and during the process gave me some tips. I now generally 'choose' what I buy. Earlier, I picked up all the cheaper coins and have realised that I have a lot of coins of same type. 

Does that make me a snob? Well, I do not think so. But it does make me a respected buyer.......

Amit

Figleaf

May I ask your attention for our new member saro, who seems like a great expert on Indian coins to me? Why not encourage him to help you out with your questions?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

QuoteA silver Tanka of 96 rati standard dated AH 961, Minted probably at Ahmedabad. I believe it is G&G G513 and was minted only during AH 961 & 962. Please confirm.
A bit difficult to confirm, when only onside of the coin is depicted.

asm

Sorry........before I could rescan the second side, I had to rush out on a short trip and will be back on Wed. Will post the second side then.

Amit

asm

Quote from: Oesho on May 15, 2011, 11:21:30 PM
A bit difficult to confirm, when only onside of the coin is depicted.

Dear Oesho,
I have posted the new image.

Amit

Md. Shariful Islam

asm

Oesho

Yes Amit, you attributed this AR Tanka of Ghiyath al-Din Ahmad III correctly. Rerence as you mentioned G/G G513.

asm

Thank you Oesho for the confirmation. G&G attribute the mint probably as Ahmedabad. Would that imply that the coins have no mint name on them.

Amit

Oesho

QuoteG&G attribute the mint probably as Ahmedabad. Would that imply that the coins have no mint name on them.
Probably not, as on no coin a peripheral legend has been observed, which may contain the mint name.