Author Topic: Cincinnati  (Read 8853 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Cincinnati
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 06:33:17 AM »
Another piece 26mm., in aluminium this time. The original pairing or perhaps a mule?

See above - this has the reverse of reply #12 paired with the reverse of reply #13.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Seems like an early challenge "coin". I wonder if they invented the concept, though a similar game was played in Singapore with cock kepings.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »
Another version of the beer piece; its the same reverse legend but quite a puzzle to read.
Bronze, 21mm.
Malcolm

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »
........ the beer piece; ......... quite a puzzle to read.

May be after a few rounds it would become easier to read?????????

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
May be after a few rounds it would become easier to read?????????

Amit

Possibly the engraver had a few rounds before work!  ::) he splashed it on his work too.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
The initial "I" is not overly clear, so my tired mind read "fag salesman" :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »
From HME in 1971, an aid to decimal currency conversion in brass coloured Aluminium, 49mm.
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
Neat idea, but not easy to read, unless you are used to slide rules. They were still used in 1971 as Excel had not yet been invented. ;)

Peter

Offline bhx7

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 07:59:21 PM »
I have a few of the Cincinnati Milacron Tokens but this one is my favourite, as well as probably the rarest.

This piece was struck on one of the Cincinnati presses installed at the Royal Mint in Llantrisant, Wales and set up for the initial striking of the New Decimal Penny production in 1970 ready for release in 1971. The only possible time the die-pairing could have existed is at the Royal Mint, as the ‘Britannia Moneta’ dies are never allowed to leave the facility; the Cincinnati die would have been brought in to the Mint, used to set up the press and demonstrate that the die was correctly set, as part of the commissioning process, then removed from the site when Cincinnati’s engineers left

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2021, 06:50:53 AM »
Excellent story, thank you. The way you describe it, it is a trial piece, not a token.

Peter

Offline bhx7

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 02:26:54 AM »
Peter, yes you are right, although I think the link with this trial piece and the tokens produced by Cincinnati Milacron are a good crossover.
I keep all the CM Tokens and the trial piece together.

Another interesting note, is I also find this piece even more satisfying because I helped collate the variant list of the decimal pennies. My area specifically was the variants of the Portcullis Decimal One Penny. My initial findings were published in Coin News. I found and helped collate more after that publication and someone has since added to that list and produced a book which I am proud to have been credited in. Finding the trial piece quite by chance and also that it was a direct link to the setting up for the decimal penny I find fortuitous.

Love these pages by the way. So much information and knowledge. Thanks
Brian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »
Hey Brian, I am gratified to hear you are doing this research. Providing a framework for self-development and motivating members to contribute to numismatic knowledge are at the top of the things WoC wants to achieve. One does not exclude the other. On the contrary.

Why not do a review of the book you contributed to on the board "Printed material and equivalent"? That will get it in the bibliogrpahy, making the review easy to access - keep in mind WoC is available read only for non-members.

Peter