50 fish on 50 cents: Denomination reflected in design

Started by <k>, March 03, 2011, 02:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Three thrift plants for threepence is much better value for money, I'd say.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

izotz

I think you wrote about these in other threads, but not in this one.

India 1 - 2 rupees (1 - 2 fingers)

India 1 - 2 rupees (single / double cross)

chrisild

Quote from: izotz on December 05, 2011, 09:20:55 AM
India 1 - 2 rupees (1 - 2 fingers)

Side note: If something like that was done on German coins, the "2" piece would look a little different. :)  We use the thumb and the index finger to indicate the "2".

Christian

paisepagal

Quote from: chrisild on December 05, 2011, 10:21:41 AM
Side note: If something like that was done on German coins, the "2" piece would look a little different. :)  We use the thumb and the index finger to indicate the "2".

Christian

The Last time, when i was in Leipzig, my friend remarked at the way I gestured "three"

and then I asked what the german way was.

never having thought of it before, I wonder why we indians don't do the latter! its obviously simpler

chrisild

Quote from: paisepagal on December 05, 2011, 10:32:05 AM
and then I asked what the german way was.

Zat is not ze korrekt vay. ;D Actually I am note quite sure what is done where, but I learned to not use the thumb when ordering drinks in the US. Usually I use my thumb for "1", thumb and index finger for "2", thumb/index/middle finger for "3", and just before you think this is getting boring, four fingers except the thumb for "4" ...

As for design and denomination, maybe we should include the US Kennedy half dollar too which villa66 just posted here:

Quote from: villa66 on December 05, 2011, 05:39:17 AM
For fun, a Kennedy half dollar; the multiple meanings of its stars, anyone?

Christian

FosseWay

I would naturally use the first of paisepagal's gestures for three. AFAIK the standard English way of counting with fingers is index for 1, index and middle for 2, index, middle and ring for 3 etc.

Specifically in the British context, though, it is important to show two fingers either with your palm away from you (like Churchill's victory sign), or, if you have your palm towards you, to keep the two fingers together (which may reduce the comprehensibility of the gesture). Showing a 'reverse victory sign', or two fingers splayed with the palm towards you, is offensive (either intentionally or humorously so) -- it's the equivalent of a single raised middle finger in the States, or the 'bras d'honneur' in France/Italy.

Back on topic, Charles II's English small silver of the 1670s/80s consisted of one C for the penny, two for the twopence and so forth (threepence illustrated):

In a similar vein to the George V threepence and sixpence of the UK, the South African equivalents of the same period and later had three/six fasces:

<k>

Tonga, 1 pa'anga, 1975.   

100 date palm trees. Why? Because 1 pa'anga is equal to 100 seniti.

<k>

Poland 2009-2015 set.jpg

Poland.

The 1, 2 and 5 groszy and the 2 and 5 zloty fit the theme.

The rest of the series does not, unfortunately.

Gusev

Nepal, 25 rupee, 1985.
25th Anniversary of Panchayat.
Panchayat or Notified Area Council or City Council is a form of an urban political unit in Nepal comparable to a municipality.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Gusev

Australia, 50 cents, 1977.
Silver Jubilie.

Gusev

eurocoin

Suriname, 1, 2 and 4 duit, 1679.

Suriname 2 duit 1679.jpg Suriname 4 duit 1679.jpg 

<k>

Domino.jpg

Mexico 5 centavos 1911.jpg

Mexico, 5 centavos, 1911.  Reverse design.

This coin type was issued from 1905 to 1914. It was the only coin of the set with this style of reverse design.

The outer circle of the coin design contained a series of five dots, as on a domino piece, and a series of "V" characters.

"V" was of course the Roman numeral used for "5".

Figleaf

compass.jpg

Fun to note, but likely to be a coincidence. That border is part of a compass, therefore likely to be a reference to navigation and sea voyages, making the dots a decorative pattern that is part of the compass.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Portugal 20 escudos 1999.jpg

I see what you mean.