News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Disasters on coins

Started by FosseWay, April 07, 2011, 10:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusev

The 1988 Armenian earthquake, also known as the Spitak earthquake occurred in the northern region of Armenia (then part of the Soviet Union) on Wednesday, December 7, 1988 at 11:41 local time.
At the epicenter of the earthquake - Spitak - force tremors reached 11.2 points (on 12-point scale). Killed about 150,000 people.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Figleaf

It was a disaster and the death toll is beyond belief. However, it was also the first time the Soviet Union (under Gorbachov) allowed outside help, an unprecedented opening of an inward looking country. It was, moreover, the first time I remember musicians making a joint appeal for money to help.

Is it a coincidence that the mountain on the coin seems to match the one in your avatar?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Not remotely numismatic AFAIK, but wasn't Live Aid in 1984/5 the first large-scale musical aid effort?

Gusev

Quote from: Figleaf on October 31, 2014, 05:40:24 PM
It was a disaster and the death toll is beyond belief. However, it was also the first time the Soviet Union (under Gorbachov) allowed outside help, an unprecedented opening of an inward looking country. It was, moreover, the first time I remember musicians making a joint appeal for money to help.

Is it a coincidence that the mountain on the coin seems to match the one in your avatar?

Peter

Yes, the USSA had a "makeover" and the whole world helped.
Earthquake - it very terrible. On my motherland on Kamchatka settlement, where I was born, was fully destroyed by an earthquake 21.04.2006. This settlement will not never restore.

On my avatar - image Everest in Tibet.
On a coin - Mount Ararat in Turkey (see photo).
Mount Ararat is a snow cone in Turkey. It has two peaks: Greater Ararat (the highest peak in Turkey 5137 m) and Lesser Ararat (3.896 m).
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

<k>

Italy 5 euro 2015.jpg

Italy, 5 euro, 2015.  Centenary of the Avezzano earthquake.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Afrasi

<k>

UK, 2 pounds, 2016.  The Great Fire of London, 1666.

Are there enough designs to make a topic of fire and/or flames?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

gerard974

Hello
Is wonderful is always someting to learn on this forum ,thank you
Best regards Gerard

Oklahoman

Was it an Isle of Man crown that you say shows a Zeppelins?  I know an air ship was on a 2 pound coin, but it wasn't a Zeppelin.

chrisild

IoM1994Zeppelin.jpg

This is the Isle of Man piece (1 Crown 1994) with Zeppelin and a zeppelin. :)

Oklahoman

Thanks!  There always seems to be a crown to get from Isle of Man!