Aurangzeb, Rupee, Mint: Zafarabad, AH 1113 RY 46, KM#300.93

Started by asm, March 13, 2011, 02:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

This coin seems to be an issue of Aurangzeb from the Zafarabad Mint.

The location of the mint as suggested by Dr Coringdon in his Musalman Numismatics is a town in the North West Provinces. possibly referring to a town of the same name near Jaunpur. However, H Nelson Wright, points out that the coins of this mint are observed from the date 1069 (the last year of the reign of Shah Jahan) to 1119 - the first year of Shah Alam Bahadur, it is more probable that this is the town of Bidar (in the Deccan) which was captured by Aurangzeb from Bijapur in 1067 and which he had renamed Zafarabad - just prior to his move to Delhi due to the ill health of his father.

Any comments?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

I had two querries on this coin:

1) is the date AH 1112 or 1113?

2) What is the mark like an 8 or may be two 8's on the obverse at 9 O'clock position?

Amit

Abhay

Quote from: asm on March 13, 2011, 02:36:41 AM
I had two querries on this coin:

1) is the date AH 1112 or 1113?

Amit

The date clearly seems to be AH 1113.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

asm

I too first read the date as a 3 but am confused. The 3 is written out very different from the normal digit.

Amit

Rangnath

I agree Amit.  That is one of the longest "3"s I've ever seen!  :o
richie

akona20

Zafarabad is not in the current mint list of Shah Alam 1 Bahadur although listed as such in at least one of the old publications.

No coin can be confirmed at present.

Coinsforever

This later year coin of Zafarabad is from current town of Jafrabad (Maharashtra)which was Zafarnagar during reign of Shah jahan and later renamed as Zafarpur/Zafarabad by Aurangzeb.

Earlier dates of Zafarabad mints are from Bidar which was later renamed as Muhammadabad (Karnataka).
Ch  ;D ;D  rs
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/