Author Topic: Acorn designs on George V 3d and 6d reverses  (Read 2104 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Acorn designs on George V 3d and 6d reverses
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
What does the "C" stand for that appears in the centre of the 1930 threepence pictured below? The "KG" on the 1934 sixpence (also pictured) stands for Kruger-Gray, the surname of the designer George Kruger-Gray. I would have imagined, but can't be sure, that he also designed the reverse of the threepence. Does anyone know whether he did?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:31:13 PM by <k> »
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

translateltd

Re: Acorn designs on George V 3d and 6d reverses
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
Looks like a G to me - just half of KG?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ยท UK
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
What does the "C" stand for that appears in the centre of the 1930 threepence pictured below?

Coincraft states it's a 'G' but does not mention what it stands for.  Coincraft do say Kruger-Gray designed the 1937-44 silver 3d.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

translateltd

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »
They're too similar to be the work of different designers.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:07:27 AM »
Quote from: The proposed coinage of King Edward VIII by G. P. Dyer, librarian and curator, Royal Mint, HMSO, London, 1973, page 7.

Since new reverse designs by Mr. George Kruger Gray had been adopted less than ten years before in 1927 it was understandable that members (of the advisory committee) should be reluctant to countenance wholesale changes. They agreed, however, that Mr. Kruger Gray might be asked to consider alternative designs for the least successful of the existing reverses, namely the crown, sixpence and threepence.

This quote and the authority of the author leaves no doubt in my mind that the reverse of the 1927 threepence was designed by Kruger Gray. I wonder if the initial G simply stands for George?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:19:53 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.