Japanese 500 Yen 'Prefecture' Series

Started by Bimat, January 16, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miner

Quote from: Figleaf on August 07, 2015, 01:05:52 PM
The design on the Tokushima coin shows Awa dancers. The woman wears an Amigasa hat. The man seems to brandish a fan. Similar festivals (Awa Odori) take place elsewhere, such as in Paris.

Peter

You're absolutely right.

Tokushima - Festival Awa-Odori

Yamaguchi - Pagoda Temple Rurikoji

Fukuoka - Kyushu National Museum, Taiko-bashi bridge in the Japanese garden of the Temple Tenman-gu and blossoming branch of Japanese plums

Bimat

Last two (#46 and #47) issues of the series (dated 2016):

Fukushima (Soma Nomaoi Festival) and Tokyo (Tokyo Station Marunouchi Building and Gyoko Street).

Likely to be issued in July 2016?

Aditya

Side Note: Four issues of 2015 (Chiba, Nagasaki, Osaka & Wakayam) were indeed issued in January 2016.
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

cam

Gentlemen,

It might be a bit out of date, but I wonder what Japanese coin is on the reverse of this beautiful series?

Best regards,
Alexander
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Figleaf

Your question is not clear to me, cam. Please consider amplifying.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

cam

Quote from: Figleaf on July 21, 2019, 12:43:02 PM
Your question is not clear to me, cam. Please consider amplifying.

Peter, there is an old coin on the obverse centre of 500 yen. For me, it looks like an old cast Mon coin.

Andrew below shared a link with an answer: Before anyone goes looking through catalogues of ancient coins to find out what coin is represented on the 500 yen coin, look closely at the first four characters by the denomination on the Y1000 - they just read "regional self-government", neatly arranged in old "cash coin" style.
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

eurocoin