Japanese 500 Yen 'Prefecture' Series

Started by Bimat, January 16, 2011, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Today I received the missing three issues of 2011 (Iwate, Akita, Shiga) and with this my collection of these 500 yen commemorative coins is up-to date. :) Now waiting for the next three issues...long time to go though!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

genrou0

Quote from: genrou0 on April 04, 2012, 11:27:50 PM
OK, so the banks and other places should work for at least this years coins.

I try those places out in two weeks when I go to Japan. I let you guys know what I find out/get.

G

OK, I'm back from my trip.

I found out that if you do not get the newly issues coins the day of at the bank, you are out of luck getting them that way.
We talk with a guy at Mizuho Bank (at the base of the building I was working in). He told us you need to get them in the morning first thing when the bank opens on the release date. ...I left 1500 yen with one of my friends to pick up the next set for me. (^_^)y

As for the whole set. The easiest way was just to buy them from a shop for about 800 yen each (or ~$10 US).

I was going to just get the first set or two due to budget, but three of my friends surprised me for my birthday with the whole set up to now... what a great gift! It is by far the best thing I got on my trip.

They even cooler than I though they would be. Such a great set!
If I have to, eBay seems to be an OK price for these when they come out. It should be easy to keep up to date now.

G

Figleaf

That's the best birthday gift I heard of since I got a collection of different kinds of Kimchi for my birthday from my Korean friends. Congratulations with your birthday and with your friends and may you complete the series.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

You have got one of the best b'day gift a coin collector can ever get. Congrats and belated happy b'day!!! :)

As you said correctly, those coins are really very cool. 8) A superb series to collect.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

genrou0

Thank you everyone for the Birthday wishes!

I had given one of these friends (I had not met the other two in person until this trip) a full US state quarter set.
The two of us have been exchanging gifts over the past 4 years. I wanted to give him something cool that was related to my country... thus the state quarters.
But, there gift far out weighs my own (T_T). I was very touched to say the least.
I do indeed have great colleagues and friends.

The three of them are coming to the US next week, so we can continue or work.
I must find something great for them. (^_^)y

G

Bimat

Three prefectures get special coins to celebrate act's 60th anniversary

Kyodo

The Finance Ministry on Tuesday unveiled ¥1,000 and ¥500 coins dedicated to Miyagi, Hiroshima and Gunma prefectures to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the local autonomy act, which stipulates how the nation's prefectures and municipalities are structured.

The ministry has been issuing coins dedicated to each of the 47 prefectures starting in fiscal 2008 to mark the year 2007, the 60th anniversary of the enforcement of the act.

Miyagi's coins bear the image of Date Masamune, a local strongman who lived until the mid-17th century, and a scene from the Tanabata summer festival.

The Hiroshima coins feature the Atomic Bomb Dome and the Shintoist Itsukushima Shrine, both World Heritage sites.

One of the Gunma coins is engraved with the Tomioka silk mill, which Japan aims to recommend for UNESCO recognition as a World Cultural Heritage site.

The ¥1,000 coins are made with silver and will sell for ¥6,000.

Orders for the coins won't be accepted until next year.

The ministry also announced the designs of the ¥10,000 gold coin and ¥1,000 silver coin to be given in fiscal 2015 to the buyers of government bonds to fund the reconstruction of areas ravaged by last year's earthquake and tsunami.

The coins bear the images of doves and the so-called miracle pine tree in Iwate Prefecture that was the only one of about 70,000 pines on a stretch of coast to survive the massive tsunami.

One gold coin will be given to those who buy and hold ¥10 million worth of the bonds for three years. Purchasers of ¥1 million worth of the bonds will get a silver coin.

Source: Japan Times

Bimat

Posting images of first three issues of 2013 (Heisei 25): Miyagi, Gunma and Hiroshima. (Image Source: WBCN)

Aditya

Bimat

Next four in the series: Kagoshima, Okayama, Shizuoka & Yamanashi

(Image from World Coin News)

Aditya

Bimat

Next three from the series: Ehime, Mie and Yamagata.

Image Source: WBCN

Aditya

Bimat

The latest four issues in the series (Kagoshima, Okayama, Shizuoka and Yamanashi) were issued on January 15. :)

Aditya

Bimat

Japan unveils commemorative coin plans for 5 more prefectures, Tokyo

Kyodo News International | June 2, 2014 6:55pm

The Finance Ministry on Monday unveiled plans for 1,000 yen and 500 yen commemorative coins featuring Wakayama, Nagasaki and three other prefectures as well as Tokyo.

The coins for Wakayama feature the 1,200th anniversary of the founding of Koyasan, part of the Sacred Sites and Pilgrimage Routes in the Kii mountain range, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2004.

The Nagasaki coins will highlight a set of churches and other Christian locations which Japan is seeking to have declared World Heritage sites.

The other three prefectures are Chiba, Fukushima and Osaka.

The ministry has been issuing coins dedicated to each of Japan's 47 prefectures since fiscal 2008 to celebrate the 60th anniversary in 2007 of the enforcement of the local autonomy law.

The coins dedicated to Chiba, Osaka, Nagasaki and Wakayama will be issued in the latter half of fiscal 2015, and those dedicated to Fukushima and Tokyo will be sold in the first half of fiscal 2016, the ministry said.

The coins for Chiba, Osaka and Tokyo highlight history and culture, and those for Fukushima feature renowned bacteriologist Hideyo Noguchi, who hailed from the prefecture.

Detailed designs for the coins for the five prefectures and Tokyo will be unveiled later.

Source: Global Post

Bimat

Next in the series (2014): Ishikawa, Kagawa & Saitama.

Image Source: WBCN

Aditya

Bimat

Next in the series (2015): Fukuoka, Tokushima & Yamaguchi

Image from World Coin News

Aditya

Bimat

Today, I received the seven issues of 2013! I'm yet to get the 2014 issues; hopefully soon... :)

Aditya

Figleaf

There will not be many people who have the whole set outside Japan...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.