10 cents 1855 with a glitch in 55

Started by Goodies, December 14, 2010, 10:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodies

Hi,

Something leen-4 found currently puzzles us on "muntenbodemvondsten" forum, 10 cents Willem III 1855..

I show you what it is.. see below.

Now clearly there is not enough silver on the straight part of the second 5 and too much silver below.. but euuhm what could have caused that error ?

According to our expert Maarten it could be die break, but it's (definitely) not a year overstrike.

Any idea ? Thanks in advance..

:)
Lx

P.S. I had to submit this through external means, because the upload folder is full (message)

Prosit

Maybe the punch used to make the die was broke and not the die itself...
Interesting whatever caused it.

Figleaf

Very interesting piece. I am not sure if punches were used in the Utrecht mint in 1855. My favorite scenario here is a die filling up. This happens if a die is insufficiently cleaned. Remaining oil or dirt will attract small parts of metal that will form a hard mass as the die is used. This happens most often in small details. I think I can see the dirt spreading to the upper bar of the second 5. As for the lower part of the numeral, the two fives were likely not cut at the same time or by the same person, so I am not too surprised by the many differences in style.

The problem with the die break theory is that first die breaks tend to run close to the edge of the coin and on the lowest part (here, it would have to run in the 5, the highest part, rather than alongside the 5) and second, a die break adds metal, so while it might explain the thin line, it would not explain why the vertical bar of the 5 is otherwise absent.

Peter

P.S. as for the upload folder being full, the hosting company says it has plenty of space and the admin is AWOL. Software quirk?
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.