Muhammad Shah, 1/16 Rupee (1 Anna) RY 1X, Mint: Dar al Sarur - Burhanpur.

Started by asm, November 22, 2010, 12:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

A long time back, I had promissed Richie that I will post some of the smaller fractions that I have. Here is the first, sold to me as a 1/16 rupee of Muhammad Shah, Mint: Burhanpur. Please help attribute corretly. The obverse shows only a part of Shah....

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Oesho

As you correctly observed, the reverse shows only a part of Shah. The reverse shows to the right a part of Sanah, with Ry. 1x above. As none* of the later Mughal emperors ruled longer than 10 years, it may therefore be attributed to Muhammad Shah.
To the left of Sanah you may read dar al-S(arur), the mint epithet of Burhanpur. This 1 anna piece can therefore safely be attributed to Muhammad Shah, mint Burhanpur.

* Shah Alam II, Muhammad Akbar, as well as Muhammad Bahadur ruled for a longer period, but those rulers can for various reasons be skipped out for Burhanpur mint.

Figleaf

As Sherlock said: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". Great id!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"