UK Olympic 50p series

Started by FosseWay, November 18, 2010, 07:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Here we have the modern sport of groinal kicking represented.

I notice the mintage figures have been updated on the website,
http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/mintagefigures/circulating_coins.aspx
Maybe someone should tell them there are 29 designs?  (they forgot Wheelchair Rugby ;D)
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

augsburger

By a faceless man too, taking the design brief a little too far. You aren't allowed to depict real people, but sticking on a nose and eyes isn't too hard, everyone has them.

andyg

they just remind me of last summer for some reason  ::)

andyg

And finally - I have the last one - pole dancing.

africancoins

Since a few days ago I have just five left to get from change....  Cycling, Football, Sailing, Tennis and Weightlifting.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

chrisild

Quote from: andyg on July 05, 2012, 10:04:11 PM
And finally - I have the last one - pole dancing.

Ouch, my neck hurts. ;D

Christian

jameso

You are naughty making fun of these lovely designs!  >:D

They've been incredibly popular. We have put over 50,000,000 in circulation now, but they're still very difficult to find. They've given coin collecting a national boost!

Figleaf

If you think that's naughty, don't look here, James (unless you enjoy naughtiness.) Shocking! :D

Do you have some more examples of people having fun with the designs?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

bagerap

Strangely  enough, I had James in mind when I posted it. Psychic Figleaf!

andyg

Quote from: jameso on October 18, 2012, 02:28:41 PM

They've been incredibly popular. We have put over 50,000,000 in circulation now, but they're still very difficult to find. They've given coin collecting a national boost!

...but it could have been so much better.
Has the mint considered distributing coins the American way? - selling rolls of circulation grade (not BU) coins (at a premium) - going by ebay prices most people are willing to pay 2x, even 3x face value so why can't the mint earn this profit instead of ebay?

jameso

I love the concept of selling coins like that. I think we have been surprised by the huge popularity of the collecting craze and we need to look at our options to keep these collectors in the hobby. Our typical model of pricing and product development for commemorative coin doesn't fit them. I have been at the forefront of driving the popularity of collecting and it's been very rewarding.

In my dream future we'd be doing more free folders, doing everything to encourage collecting from change and positioning the Mint itself as a tourist attraction and Museum of coinage. That would be a wonderful complement to our circulating, commemorative and bullion businesses I think. We'll see where it goes!

As to other examples of amusing takes on the 50p design...yes there are a few out there...  ;D

augsburger

I think a lot of people don't really notice what commemorative coins there are because there aren't enough of them in circulation for it to be an issue. Of course the Olympic Coins got some people into it and it might be driving coin collecting but when it takes a long, long time to get the 50ps and £2 in circulation it is likely to put people off a little.

Having popular topics would be good, WW1 commemorations are going to be coming up in a couple of years time and this would probably be a good item if it were done properly with good quality designs.

Figleaf

Thanks James. Same designer for all three. Sorry for having to analyse, which is lethal for jokes. I am a collector, so I can't help it. :)

The cat chewing on the electricty (leccy) cable will be clear to anyone having a furry animal with a death wish. The head is Noel Edmonds who seems to say I GONE AND SPAT ALL MA TEETH INTO THIS BEAKER! (joke not immediately clear to me) and the car crash looks like it is accompanied by ARGGGHHH! * BEIN SPIKED. Best I can think of is a comment on Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, which features a similar accident. Mmmm. Maybe not. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

jameso

I don't claim to understand these either :D

I think the car crash one says:

"Aargh my ANGLO SAXON EXPLETIVE spine".

andyg

Quote from: jameso on October 19, 2012, 09:53:12 AM
I love the concept of selling coins like that. I think we have been surprised by the huge popularity of the collecting craze and we need to look at our options to keep these collectors in the hobby. Our typical model of pricing and product development for commemorative coin doesn't fit them. I have been at the forefront of driving the popularity of collecting and it's been very rewarding.

In my dream future we'd be doing more free folders, doing everything to encourage collecting from change and positioning the Mint itself as a tourist attraction and Museum of coinage. That would be a wonderful complement to our circulating, commemorative and bullion businesses I think. We'll see where it goes!

thank you for the reply - I do suggest the American method might be a rewarding compliment to the ranges currently offered.  What you do is excellent at the moment - but it doesn't really appeal much to new collectors.