UK Olympic 50p series

Started by FosseWay, November 18, 2010, 07:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Both Kew and Guides 50p are the "traditional" version of the portrait.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Figleaf

The reason why an exception was made for the "Dent" 50p may be that the pointed tip of the shield fits well in the coin's contours this way.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

tonyclayton

Yesterday was a new first in my nearly 50 years of collecting UK coins.  I received in change a coin dated the year AFTER the present one.  A sort of Back to the Future experience!

It was one of the Olympic 50p issues - in this case Fencing. 

I have also received a report of the 'Blue Peter' coin of the High Jump dated 2011 being received.

While I am about it, may I wish all who read this a very Merry Christmas.

Tony

EDIT: Title

translateltd

That's an experience to treasure - and one that rather makes a mockery of putting a date on coins in the first place, on reflection!  Here in NZ, coins are struck in quite large numbers at irregular intervals and then stockpiled for release when needed.  It can be years before we see them in circulation.  I've seen precisely one 2009-dated 10c piece in circulation, and that was only about a month ago.  Still waiting on 2008-dated $2s, which are believed to exist.

Quote from: tonyclayton on December 21, 2010, 04:06:22 PM
Yesterday was a new first in my nearly 50 years of collecting UK coins.  I received in change a coin dated the year AFTER the present one.  A sort of Back to the Future experience!

It was one of the Olympic 50p issues - in this case Fencing. 

I have also received a report of the 'Blue Peter' coin of the High Jump dated 2011 being received.

While I am about it, may I wish all who read this a very Merry Christmas.

Tony

africancoins

In the space of a week or so - from change (or searched change) - I have had several 2011 (next year) 50p types, my first 1 Pound coin of this year 2010 (standard design) and my first standard design 2 Pound coin of last year 2009. So yes this is a bit strange.

Main things not yet seen... any design 50p of 2009 or 2010 (but there are pieces with special designs from for sale, pieces from mint bags), the 10p 2010, any design 2 Pound coins of 2010 and the two 2010 1 Pound coins with the "special" designs.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

andyg

This morning, fresh from mint bags, I have 100 of these.

29 designs in total, yet I only have 10 designs - so maybe not all designs have been released.
I have the following,
Aquatics - 27
Athletics - 2
Badminton - 1
Boccia - 2
Canoeing - 7
Gymnastics - 6
Hockey - 40
Rowing - 3
Table Tennis - 1
Triathlon - 11

Designs not seen,
Archery, Basketball, Boxing, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Football, Goalball, Handball, Judo, Pentathalon,
Sailing, Shooting, Taekwondo, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Wheelchair Rugby, Wrestling.

edit - It seems I have different designs to these,
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,6899.msg53492.html#msg53492

SandyGuyUK

I have just obtained my first 2011 50p for the Olympics - this one is for canoeing.  I can heartily agree with a previous poster who commented on how flat these coins look when one actually manages to get hold of one - you can barely see what the picture's supposed to be....

My dear old ma has also managed to get her first 2011 50p - her one was a boxing coin - she has cruelly decided to keep this for herself ratehr than let me have it for my collection even though she's not what you'd call a numismatist.  Do you think this cruel and unusual form of torture would warrant a call to Childline for parental cruelty, and even more to the point, do they take calls from 42 year olds?!  ;)

Happy Christmas one and all!

Ian
Ian
UK

tonyclayton

Quote from: andyg on December 23, 2010, 11:12:34 AM
This morning, fresh from mint bags, I have 100 of these.

29 designs in total, yet I only have 10 designs - so maybe not all designs have been released.

The Royal Mint have said that some will not be released until next year.

I would be grateful for any images of higher resolution that I can use on my website.
Due acknowledgment would be given.

andyg

In my scan are,
1) Aquatics,
2) Athletics,
3) Badminton,
4) Bocchia,
5) Canoeing,
6) Gymnastics,
7) Hockey,
8 ) Rowing,
9) Table Tennis,
10) Triathlon

Not included are
11) Archery
12) Boxing,
13) Cycling
14) Fencing
15) Goalball
16) Volleyball

So I think these are all that's out at the moment.
Has anyone seen any more (not in packs?)

I now have Boxing and Fencing,

africancoins

Upto now I have...

Fencing
Goalball
Canoeing
Rowing
Boxing
Triathalon

Was there really a need to have so many ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

kena

A friend of mine has found the archery one in change.

Bimat

With the current speed, I think Andy will receive a British coin dated 2012 in change in January 2011 :P

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

tonyclayton

Quote from: andyg on December 27, 2010, 11:23:30 PM
Dear Mr. Figtheleaf,

Could the olympic 50p stuff go into it's own thread please?
Thanking you.

If it was Olympic crowns I would concur, but these are in circulation.  Having
enjoyed collecting States quarters while on holiday over there, I think having
a lot of designs is good for the hobby.  I just hope they do not prove as unobtainable
as the Commonwealth Games two pound coins.

tonyclayton

I would add that the Royal Mint's charge of £80+ for a complete set is a total rip-off