Author Topic: Shah Jahan.  (Read 891 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Shah Jahan.
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
Buying without knowledge......information and idea......a classic example of what not to buy. I was sold this as a rupee of Jafarnagar.......I paid a princely sum of Rs 700 when Jehangir & Shah Jahan coins in good shape were available at below 300 and Aurangzeb below 130.

However in  the blowup, the coin indeed looks interesting. Can any information be culled out of the coin to find out its origins.......its minting time..... or even the area from where it could have originated?

Any help would be highly appriciated. Do you believe that cleaning the coin could help show more? I have preserved it in the original holder to remind me of my stupidity.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Shah Jahan.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:56:19 AM »
I tried my hand at cleaning the coin. It weighs 11.3g. I could read the date as AH 1068. I hope more can be made out now. Please help.

The counter marks on the side of the rulers name (reverse) are quite interesting. Are they shroff marks? Test marks are there on both sides. I have not seen a coin with the square bordre of dots instead of full line.

Amit

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »
Coins with a dotted square are observed from Akbarabad and Burhanpur mint.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:38:19 PM by Oesho »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:04:01 AM »
Thanks Oesho for the direction.
While checking for coins of these two mints on ZENO and SCWC, I find that the coins with the centeral square were not issued from Akbarabad in AH 1068. On Zeno, the last year for such coins I found was 1056 while SCWC mentions dates till 1065. Burhanbur has dates till AH 1068 RY 31 and RY 32. So would this coin be from Burhanpur?

Amit