Token identified - Copenhagen Little Mermaid KOBENHAVNS SPORVEJE

Started by WillieBoyd2, November 01, 2010, 02:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Malcolm's brass token has the hands coming down way left of the knees.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

So it does! How many different variants can there be? It's not like this token was in use for very long -- the name changed from Københavns Sporveje to Huvudstadsområdets Trafikselskab (Capital City Area Transport Company) in IIRC 1971, which is also roughly when trams were discontinued in favour of buses and the underground. (NB the date and the precise spelling of the new company are from memory -- apologies if my Danish has come out Swedified!)

malj1

The first thing I had noticed last year was the sea-line which is almost nonexistent on left hand side of the first two tokens. I now see the large 'S' varies to some extent on the reverse of all of them.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

SpaBreda

This is fun !  :D
I also have a brass and a copper-nickle one.
My Cu-Ni is like Fosseway's 8880.
The brass one is of the hunched variety !

Paul.

Kushi

Smith and Smith (1990) give the following dates of usage.

Brass:  01 November 1964 - 31 March 1967
White Metal: 01 April 1967 - 31 March 1972
Brass:  1 April 1972 - 20 April 1975
White Metal: 20 April 1975 - August 1975

FosseWay

Are the second set of dates (1972-75) referring to the same token or to the Huvudstadsområdets Trafikselskab tokens (with a big G, R or T on one side and HT in pentagon on the other)? I thought the tram in KBH stopped in 1971, so it would be slightly odd to continue to issue tokens with Københavns Sporveje on them.

malj1

The catalogue does indeed say that. Here is the relevant entry...
Malcolm

malj1

Spotted on eBay today this nice little statue; VINTAGE BRONZE MERMAID STATUE on STONE COPENHAGEN HARBOR DENMARK. Further down it says 'BRONZE PLATED PLASTIC MERMAID STATUE, WITH STONE BASE - 11cm tall and weighs 272g'

Malcolm

malj1

Malcolm

Prosit

Found this bullion item on ebay. Not my cup o tea but pretty.

From H Anderson tales.

Dale

Bimat

Quote from: Prosit on June 04, 2014, 05:02:13 PM
Found this bullion item on ebay. Not my cup o tea but pretty.

From H Anderson tales.

There was also a circulation issue (in nordic gold I guess) with exactly same design which you can definitely afford... :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Prosit

Then that settles that. I will just have to keep an eye open looking for it. But maybe not this week  ;)
Pretty cool design.

Dale

Quote from: Bimat on June 04, 2014, 05:05:49 PM
There was also a circulation issue (in nordic gold I guess) with exactly same design which you can definitely afford... :)

Aditya

FosseWay

Dale, if I find a spare one next time I'm in Denmark I'll save it for you :-)

Prosit

Thanks! That will be much appreciated.

Dale

Quote from: FosseWay on June 04, 2014, 09:00:14 PM
Dale, if I find a spare one next time I'm in Denmark I'll save it for you :-)

malj1

I overheard this young couple in the park discussing Copenhagen and mermaids, I wonder why?
Malcolm