Author Topic: Firoznagar, Where is it  (Read 1259 times)

akona20

Firoznagar, Where is it
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:22:37 AM »
We seem to be in some accord as to almost where it is but please advance your theories and directions.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Firoznagar, Where is it
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
William Irvine describes the location of Firoznagar in the Numismatic Supplement XIV, (87), p.580. as Raichur.
He remarks in his note: 'that it is the new name by which 'Alamgir Aurangzeb disguised Raechor (Nizam's Territories), as he did so many other places. In the M'asir-i-'Alamgiri...... we have an entry headed "Capture of Raechor" which states that on the 26th Safar 1101 (29-12-1689 N.S.), 33rd year, the Bakhshi-ul-Mulk, Ruhulla Khan, took the fort of Raechor, which received the name Firoznagar. In AH1117 (1706), year 50, Chin Qilich Khan Bahadur, was appointed faujdar of Firoznagar'.

akona20

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »
It is suggested that Raichur is the current name of the mint in question.

The location certainly fits.

Any one offer any reasons why Raichur is not the correct place?

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
Just another reference:
"It appears that Raichur had been once renamed Ferozenagar by a Bahmani Sulthan, but the appellation did not stick on to it and it continued to be called by the old name only."

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
On the web I came across the following text:       
"The State of Hyderabad was founded by Mir Qamruddin Chin Qilich Khan. He was the son of Aurangzeb's general . Ghazi-ud-din Khan Feroz Jang, who traced his ancestry to Abu Bakr, the first Khalifa. In 1713, six years after Aurangzeb's death, emperor Farrukhsiyar made Mir Qamruddin Viceroy of the Deccan, with the title of Nizam-ul-Mulk Feroz Jang. Later, emperor Muhammad Shah conferred on him the title of Asaf Jah, by which title the dynasty is still known. By 1724, Mir Qamruddin had made himself virtually independent of Delhi, although he and his successors continued to profess a nominal allegiance to the Moghul emperor right up to 1858, when the British Crown assumed the governance of India."
It is very likely that Firoznagar was named after Aurangzeb's general Ghazi-ud-din Khan Feroz Jang.

akona20

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:37:50 PM »
I have placed it on the map at this location with a purple pin denoting uncertain but broadly agreed.

The is a book available about the history of Raichur Fort, perhaps I shall purchase that and see if any note has been made in that publication.

akona20

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
Firoznagar is no longer in purple on the map. Raichur as Oesho suggests is certainly the fit.