Author Topic: Shah Jahan Qandhar half dam- Nau Sikka-- A historical and rare coin!!  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
This heart shape coin (I don't think that was the designer's intention) is about 25 mm X 25 mm and weighs 9.3 grams.  A slightly "unhealthy" coin, nonetheless, I enjoy it: a combination of size, weight and what is left of its ornimentation.  I've attempted to match it to an Afghan civic to no avail.  Isn't that a double bladed sword?  Did people really use such things?  I wonder what the symbolism is of that?  I've seen several double headed swords from what is now Afghanistan, hence my suspicion of this coin's origins.
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan Qandhar half dam- Nau Sikka-- A historical and rare coin!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:30:15 AM »
On the left image (actually the reverse) you may, with some imagination, read: Zarb Falus Qandahar. For reference you may have a look at KM#85, which is pretty identical. This means that it is an Afghan coin. On the right image (obverse), there is a date ending as xx48. Above it ?Shah? and in the centre a word which could be ?Yu?, ?Bu? or ?Nu?.
So far I have not been able to trace a ruler in Afghanistan with a date (12)48 and any of the above letters in his name. The nearest is Ayyub Shah (AH1233-1245/1817-1826), but for the date, which clearly ends with the digits 48, it can?t be Ayyub. Therefore the attribution still remains a bit of a mystery.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »
Greetings from New York City.
When I return home, I will attempt to coax more information concserning the date from the coin.
richie

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:36:07 AM »
OK. I've been back for a while.  Why not revisit the date of this coin?
I'll post some new shots of the coin and the date..
Do you still read the date as "48"?
richie

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »
here's the other side.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 01:39:02 AM »
Hmm. I understand what Oesho saw as "48".  But does the other side also contain a date?
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 01:02:39 PM »
On the second image you see clearly a 4 and a 8.
The third (enlarged image) shows Falus (copper coin) and not a part of a date.
Unfortunately, the new images doesn't bring the answer, as to which place or ruler it could be assigned, any closer.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »
It was worth my effort to try. Thanks for taking a second look.
richie

Offline mkm1968

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 07:54:37 PM »
Good day
can image my coin will help resolve some of the questions in this thread. It seems to me that the coins are identical. And I also do not tdentifitsiroval his coin.
With respect, Konstantin

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 11:58:31 PM »
The question is now solved : it's a coin of Qandahar dated 1048, struck a short time after the city of Qandahar fell in mughal hands ( Shah Jahan).
A short article has been  published in 2000 in ONS Newsletter (my coin)
The full legend is : "falus Qandahar" & "now sikkah 1048" (new current coin 1048)

My personal opinion is that these new mughal issues could have replaced the previous afghan falus with an animal on a face, as Shah Jahan was a strict muslim and such designs on coins were forbidden during his reign.
That could explain the expression "new sikkah"; these copper coins can be considered as official mughal issues.

a similar coin is here :  http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=106605

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:05:34 AM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
ref : ONS Newsletter n°164 / summer 2000  (joined : a picture of the coin of this article)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
Another from my collection. True rarities and historically important coins
Dr.Abhishek

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
And another one with good details.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 12:01:30 PM »
What a superb thread this has become.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 04:58:34 PM »
Hi all,
A very historically important coin is posted today! Although the coin is posted here earlier by Bernard sir (Saro) and reported in JONS in 2000. Still I'm elated to add it to my collection. The coin represents an important chapter in Safavid- Mughal wars.
                           Qandahar was submitted to Shah Tahmasp by Humayun for helping him regain Hindustan.. However Akbar again annexed Qandahar to Mughal empire from Shah Abbas I in 1595 AD, at a time when Abbas was still tring to establish his authority in Iran. Qandahar thus became the western most outpost of the Mughal empire. Shah Abbas  tried in 1606 AD to regain Qandahar but was unsuccessfull. When he came to know about the deteioriating health of Jahangir, he attacked from Ispahan and after a short seige regained Qandahar from Mughals in 1622AD.
                            In 1637, (1048AH/RY11 of Shah Jahan) when Ali Mardan Khan, the Iranian governor of Qandahar, learnt that Shah Safi, the Safavid ruler was plotting to kill him. So he sent a message to Qilich Khan, the Mughal governor of Multan that he was willing to defect and surrender Qandahar to the Mughals. Shahjahan gladly dispatched Qilich Khan to Qandahar to take charge of the fort.
                           He expected the Persians to attempt to regain the city soon and so he ordered that the wall be repaired rapidly while a large Mughal army based in Kabul protected the area. When no Persian attack came, in 1646 the Emperor sent his son, Murad Baksh, to invade Uzbek-controlled Badakhshan.
                            In the following year, Aurangzeb, another son, routed an Uzbek force outside of Balkh and captured the city.Though victorious in the field, the Mughals were unable to secure the conquered territories and Shah Jahan was forced to recall his armies from Badakhshan
                             Encouraged by the Mughal reversal in Badakhshan, in the summer of 1648 (1057AH)Shah Abbas II marched from Isfahan with an army of 40,000. After capturing Bost he laid siege to Kandahar and easily captured it after a brief siege on 22 February 1649(1058AH). The Mughals attempted to retake the city in 1651 but the arrival of winter forced them to suspend the siege. Thereafter 2 more efforts were made by Aurangzeb subsequently to regain Qandahar but those proved to be futile. So Qandahar was permanently lost to the persian forces.

Thus Qandahar under Shah Jahan remained a Mughal province from 1048AH to 1058AH.. The Mughals immidiately after capture of Qandahar probably issued this coin as the date on these coins are 1048AH.. The legend is 'Nau sikka' meaning 'New coin' on obverse.
Hope it was not too much of history!!!!!

Obverse- Nau sikka 1048AH
Reverse- Falus Qandahar

I have created a overlay to explain the legend.
Obverse- Yellow- Nau Sikka, Black- 1048
Reverse- Red - Qandahar, Blue- Falus
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:53:03 AM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek