Author Topic: The number of Mughal mints  (Read 4261 times)

akona20

Re: The number of Mughal mints
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 11:56:45 PM »
I have been considering exactly what to use. There is the possibility of using one of the simple map making programs with topography.

The other problem with the so called modern maps is the names are a little different and that require a little work to see what can be done.

For the silver of Shah Alam Bahadur 1 there are at least 54 mints for silver alone. I still need to isolate a very small number for mapping purposes and recheck 3 from sources.

akona20

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 01:21:57 AM »
Perhaps of course the easiest way is to get a map of the great sub continent and stick numbered pins it.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
Perhaps of course the easiest way is to get a map of the great sub continent and stick numbered pins it.
Perhaps the easiest way is to get an old map of the great sub continent, prepared by some contemporary traveller and stick numbered pins it.

Also a lot of work has already been done on the subject and there are books on the list of Mughal Mint towns. A case in point is the book on Akbar's coinage published recently. Some old reference materials are also available.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
Hi Amit,

Thanks. I have most if not all of the old works and most of the new ones now and it is a matter of checking and rechecking each and every source and the modern lists.

There will always be soem controversies but that is life. I think I have the rest of my life's work ahead of me with this and other things on Mughal coins.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
I found this list of Mughal Mints.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

akona20

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Hi Amit,

I have that list but my list has a few more names on it than that one, eight more to be precise at this moment. Mine has been crossed referenced with the best available. (silver mints only at this time have been checked)

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 04:03:54 PM »
One more mint can be added to the list - Farrukhsiyar - Gold - Gwalior. I have not seen this listed anywhere.

It is a rare coin. It was being sold on some Auction site about 2-3 months back. I downloaded the images from that website.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »
What a beauty, engipress.

Not about this particular coin, but more in general, would it not have been quite easy to turn a silver coin into a gold coin, simply by gilding it? One thing I noticed is that I have yet to see an Indian gold coin with shroff marks...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.