News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

A look at the past - 1887 - The Jubilee

Started by UK Decimal +, June 13, 2010, 05:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK Decimal +

A look at the past - 1887 - The Jubilee

1887 was the Golden Jubilee year of the reign of Queen Victoria and a new obverse appeared on the silver coins issued during the second part of the year.   As they show the initials 'J.E.B.' below the shoulder, the design appears to be by Joseph Edgar Boehm.   The 'commemorative' coins, which were in general circulation, depicted the Royal Shield on the reverse (not the threepence) and this design continued in use until 1892 (some threepences of 1893 also had this obverse), with the exception of the sixpence, about which Tony Clayton has this to say:-

In 1887 the shield reverse of the Jubilee issue proved a favourite with some who gold plated them and passed them off as half sovereigns. As a result the reverse reverted to the earlier SIX PENCE type during that year, making three different designs of sixpence all dated 1887. The withdrawn shield type is common in good condition as many were saved as curios.

The 'prices' are taken from Coin Yearbook 2010.   In general, the quantity struck to these designs for 1887 is not available, being included with other designs of that year.   My coins illustrated here cost me a total of £79.98.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

UK Decimal +

Crown (five shillings)

All to the 'Jubilee' design, total circulation 173,581 plus 1,084 proofs.

Prices: F=£12, VF=£24, EF=£55, UNC=£120, Proof UNC=£425.

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

UK Decimal +

Double-Florin (four shillings)

The first appearance of a coin of this value.   There are two versions, the first digit of the date being either a Roman I or an Arabic 1 - the latter remained in use on the issues of 1888, 1889 and 1890 when issue of this denomination was discontinued.   All the 1887 issues carried the 'Jubilee' head, a total of 483,347 were produced bearing that date.   Although only issued for four yars it appears that a few patterns were produced in 1911, 1914 and 1950 (CY2010).   Beware if imitations like the one discussed here.

Prices: both variations are given the same prices, F=£10, VF=£20, EF=£40, UNC=£80, Proof UNC=£300.

Bill.

UK Decimal +

Half-Crown (two shillings and six pence)

The half-crown, was reportedly first issued in 1549 and lasted until 01 Jan 1970, just before decimalisation.   1,438,046 were issued dated 1887 although this figure includes coins of the previous design.

Prices: F=£5, VF=£8, EF=£16, UNC=£40, Proof UNC=£175.

Bill.

UK Decimal +

Florin (two shillings)

The florin first appeared in 1848 as part of an early attempt at decimalisation (15 Feb 1971) and every one was valid until being demonetised 30 Jun 1993, latterly being interchangeable with the 10 (new) pence.   A total of 1,776,903 florins were issued in 1887, those issued early in the year being dated mdccclxxxvii and known as the 'Gothic florin'.

Prices: F=£5, VF=£10, EF=£22, UNC=£45, Proof UNC=£200.

Bill.

UK Decimal +

Shilling (12 pence)

The shilling also has a very long history, comparable with that of the half-crown but being demonetised at the end of 1990.   Shillings often show different wear patterns than other coins as they were used in gas and electricity meters and therefore 'circulated' in a different way.   Total shillings for 1887 was 4,034,133, some being of the earlier design.

Prices: F=£2, VF=£6, EF=£11, UNC=£28, Proof UNC=£80.

Bill.

UK Decimal +

Sixpence

There are two 'Jubilee head' types for this coin, as explained in the initial message here.   The total issued was 3,675,607 which covers all three types for 1887.

Prices: F=£3, VF=£5, EF=£10, UNC=£25, Proof UNC=£75. (Both the Jubilee coins are listed at the same prices).

Bill.

UK Decimal +

Threepence

Although retaining the traditional reverse, the smallest circulating silver coin was also issued with the 'Jubilee head', and some issued in 1893 had the same obverse.   The total of old and new design issued was 2,780,761.

Prices: F=£1, VF=£3, EF=£9, UNC=£30, Proof UNC=£45.

Bill.

UK Decimal +

Maundy money

The Maundy coins of 1887 had the old obverse as Maundy Thursday was before the date of the Queen's Jubilee.

Bill.

Figleaf

I have always wanted to know why the crown didn't fall off her head. Superglue hadn't been invented yet ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on June 14, 2010, 01:55:15 AM
I have always wanted to know why the crown didn't fall off her head. Superglue hadn't been invented yet ...

Peter

It was by means of a small suction cup, affixed to the base of the crown.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

UK Decimal +

UK Decimal +

I thought that I might as well include a 1887 Jubilee Model Half Farthing here as we have a heading for the year.   I'm not certain whether it is a product of the Royal Mint or not.

I'll try to put a short discussion on the 'fractional farthings' together in the near future.

Bill.

Figleaf

I believe the "model coins" were produced in Birmingham.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

Quote from: UK Decimal + on July 08, 2010, 03:43:06 PM
I thought that I might as well include a 1887 Jubilee Model Half Farthing here as we have a heading for the year.   I'm not certain whether it is a product of the Royal Mint or not.

I'll try to put a short discussion on the 'fractional farthings' together in the near future.

Bill.
This was made by Lauer of Nuremberg, Germany.
http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/TC.R.0588.01.html

Check out Lauer's & other's model coins here  http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/Toy%20Coins.html