News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Royal Mint Great Briton Vote

Started by <k>, July 17, 2010, 12:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Read about it below. I shan't be voting, because it's impossible to choose among such different categories: war, literature, technology, etc.; you're not comparing like with like. All I'll say is that there is no way John Lennon should be in there; such talent as he had was infinitesimal, and as a human being he was a mixture of arrogance, obnoxiousness, violence, and self-pity.

The magnificent Great Britons Set is one of the most exciting collections that the Royal Mint has ever produced. With so many Great Britons who have excelled in the political, scientific and literary fields, the Royal Mint carefully chose a selection of some of the greatest men and women in British history to remember and immortalise on the 'Great Britons' coinage. Click here to see who is already in the collection.

We are now giving you the chance to vote for the next Great Briton which, when chosen, will feature on a new coin which will be struck by the Royal Mint and will be made available later in the year.

All you have to do is vote for your favourite from the list below and the one with the most votes will win. The closing date is 31 July 2010.

Jane Austen  Why should I be a Great Briton?
Douglas Bader  Why should I be a Great Briton?
Walter Raleigh  Why should I be a Great Briton?
Emmeline Pankhurst  Why should I be a Great Briton?
John Logie Baird  Why should I be a Great Briton?
John Lennon  Why should I be a Great Briton?

http://www.royalmint.com/Annex/GreatBritonsVote.aspx?promcode=FS4A
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Bimat

I'd vote for Emmeline Pankhurst.I have read her (short) biography.All are equally great,but commemorative coin on Pankhurst will make an attractive pair with (already issued?) Florence Nightingale commemorative. 8)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

Bimat

OK,looking at design of Nightingale commemorative,I won't say that both commemoratives (Nightingale and Pankhurst) will make an 'attractive' pair ;D

But it would be interesting to see portrait of woman on both sides ;) Do such coins exist?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

<k>

Quote from: Numismatica on July 17, 2010, 04:54:30 PM
OK,looking at design of Nightingale commemorative,I won't say that both commemoratives (Nightingale and Pankhurst) will make an 'attractive' pair ;D

But it would be interesting to see portrait of woman on both sides ;) Do such coins exist?

Aditya

Yes, of the Queen herself, both sides: 25p 1977, 5 pounds 2002; and then there was the Diana 5 pound coin of 1999.

Design Development of the 5 Pound Coin of 2002

<k>

Here is a suffragette commemorative, but not Emily Pankhurst herself.

Figleaf

I voted for Douglas Bader, who lost both legs in an aircraft accident, hobbled around on artificial limbs, was able to hide it long enough to be accepted as an RAF pilot, got to be a prisoner of war, escaped, only to be caught again, and spent the rest of the second world war in Colditz. His example should be inspirational to all those who suffered the loss of a limb. Personally, I like him for being a severe pain in the keister for stuffed bureaucrats, whether British or German.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Ukrainii Pyat

One has to ponder that the latter two in the listing did more harm for humanity than good.  For me it would be a toss up betwixt one of my favourite English authors and a hero of the Second World War who was an amazing inspiration as someone whom was one of the few who accomplished so much that kept the "you know who's" out of Great Britain.

Thusly missived I shall refrain from choosing betwixt my two favourites and call it a fair tie.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Figleaf

I found there's no check on either nationality or the number of times you have voted. The Daily Express is campaigning its readers to vote for Logie Baird. Any IT student can write a little programme that

a. generates a new IP address for his computer
b. contacts the web site
c. votes
d. returns to a.

Just like a couple of Greek campaigners saddled us with the stick man, turning "democracy" into nationalism. Sad.

A Liverpudlian newspaper has reported that John Lennon is currently in fourth place.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Reminds me of the Silke Fritzen phenomenon. A few years ago the ZDF (a major German TV network) did an "Unsere Besten" ranking, and people could pick the "best Germans" from a list of several hundred, but also add new entries. This way Silke Fritzen made it to the list, who at that time was 18, I think, and an admin in a sci-fi web forum. ;D

Christian