Author Topic: The Netherlands 2022: Collectors coins  (Read 195 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
The Netherlands 2022: Collectors coins
« on: March 23, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
In 2022, the Netherlands will issue 2 collectors coins, each with a denomination of 5 euros. The first coin will commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Treaty of Maastricht. The Treasury currently holds a public consultation to select a theme for the second coin. The consultation can be found here.

Unfortunately, unlike last year, it is not possible to see the entries of other people. Only after the consultation has closed will most of the entries be published.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: The Netherlands 2022: Collectors coins
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 02:34:19 PM »
The first coin will commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Treaty of Maastricht.

Good idea - and as I wrote in the €2 commem topic, that would in my opinion have been a better choice for a common commemorative issue. Oh well.

What I find a little amusing – according to the rules in that PDF file, "Als het een herdenking betreft moet het thema op een logische wijze gekoppeld worden aan een jubileumjaar (jubilea zijn 25, 50, 75, 100 enz. jaar)." Hmm, 30 is better than 35 (Erasmus Program) but would not meet that condition. ;D

Tpyo fixed.

Christian
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:27:53 PM by chrisild »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 07:48:27 PM »
This is covered by the chapter "anything for a fast buck", and it still beats sugar-coated animals, maps and children's books. A market being destroyed by itself?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Yes, when I saw the theme I immediately thought about the same. The commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the Treaty of Maastricht is not great and I consider this choice to be a mistake. In the past a 30th anniversary would never have been deemed relevant enough for commemoration. At the same time however I look at countries like the UK where the most ridiculous coins are being issued. And then, I am happy that numismatics in the Netherlands has not lowered itself to that level and that we are 'only' talking about a collectors coin for a 30th anniversary of a relevant treaty signed in the Netherlands.

Of course, the 25th anniversary should have been commemorated instead, either on a Dutch collectors coin or on a joint 2 euro commemorative coin. It is a great shame that it never happened. More so as other European countries (Spain, France) did issue collectors coins for the anniversary of the Treaty.

Of course we do have a mintmaster from Maastricht who loves 'his' city so I would not be surprised if there would have been some influence there ;)

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 03:16:44 PM »
The consultation has now ended and the replies to it have been published. 45 people submitted one or more proposals. In total 36 themes were suggested.

The theme 'health care workers' was mentioned the most (5 times). The 100th anniversary of universal suffrage was mentioned 4 times. The 450th anniversary of the Capture of Brielle was mentioned 3 times.

The 500th anniversary of the appointment of the first Dutch pope, 20 years since Pim Fortuyn was murdered and the COVID-19 pandemic in general were each mentioned twice.

All other themes, amongst which a proposal for a coin to honour Klaus Schwab, were each mentioned once. It will be interesting to see which theme the Treasury will pick this year. Their choice is not necessarily based on how often a theme has been submitted by the public.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:06:16 PM by eurocoin »