Author Topic: Muhammad Shah, Elichpur.  (Read 1987 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Muhammad Shah, Elichpur.
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
Most copper coins of the Mughal Emperors do not show much of the ledgend and as a result are difficult to attribute. However this one has some information. Is there enough information on this coin to be able to attribute it? Weight 16.8g

Amit
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:35:05 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Aurangzeb? Please help attribute.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »
It's not Aurangzeb, but probably Muhammad Shah and the mint is Elichpur.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Muhammad Shah, Elichpur.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:38:49 AM »
Dear Oesho. Thank you for the attribution. I made the error in the name as I too had thought it to be Elichpur initially but someone (from whom I bought the coin) read (and I do not know how) Aurang.... on the coin.

Would this be a paisa or a Dam? the weight - 16.8g is mor in line with a Paisa?

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 03:48:36 AM »
Another similar coin?

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
Yes and with a small 'lingam' countermark.

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »
You point to the countermark, Oesho.  Any guesses whether it is if of diagnostic significance, or is it more likely to be merely a schroff mark (on coppers?)?  Or maybe to show that it was legal tender in Maratha (Holkar) territory - particularly under Ahilya Bai?  There are lots of counterstamps found on copper coins in north and Deccan, Malwa and central India generally, as we have discussed before.  It might be instructive to be able to 'read' these marks.......

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
Dear Salvete, the lingam is often found as 'shroff' or c/m on copper coins and on the edge of silver coins.
This Hindu symbo seems to have ben very popular among Marathas. The only documented use of this c/m on copper coins is of Dewas State (N.S. Negu. Çoinage of the Dewas State'. Journal of the Numismatic Society of Madhya Pradesh, vo. I, no. 1, 1972; see also ONS-NL151, p.15-17).
I had a copy of this Journal, I searched all over the place, but I can't trace it at the moment.

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »
That is useful information, Oesho.  Thank you.  Needless to say that I have neither of those references, but I may be able to get ONS N/L 151 from Peter Smith.  Anyway, I'll try.  The NSMP reference is not possible for me, unless you know where it is available online?  I have  a few countermarks on central Indian coins, but little idea what most of them represent, or who struck them.  You may remember that I sent you scans of three of the latest additions, none of which meant anything to you, either!  So what chance do most of the rest of us stand of 'breaking the code'?  One day, when all other projects have been finished.......

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.