Author Topic: Mysterious Indian coin bought in Darjeeling: Clay tourist token  (Read 193 times)

Offline metatroz

• Reader
Hello all,

I bought an Indian coin 8 years ago in Darjeeling in India (antique dealer) because i felt it was quite a strange coin. It is very tiny, around 1 centimenter, quite light weighted( no bronze, no silver, no gold). I have found the coin to be thick relative to its size. Unfortunately, I have never been able to identify it, but i find it original I post some photos below:

If you have any information, i would be interested in :). I have not got any other information!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:37:59 AM by THCoins »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Mysterious Indian coin bought in Darjeeling
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 10:17:59 PM »
This is one of a series of clay fantasy 'tokens' from Nepal, which are reported by Nick Rhodes in 'Coinage of Nepal' to have been made in Bhatgaon in the 1960s in large numbers for sale to tourists, my example below. This is his M27, p.210.

Alan

Offline metatroz

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:31:11 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you so much for your reply! Haha, it is something that I will keep in my personal collection to remind me that i should make research before buying a beautiful token! Indians are smart :). Hopefully, I paid only around 7 USD...

Offline mti

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 05:04:32 AM »
With time, I found myself collecting Tokens and Medals as well...  often they are very interesting to learn about and looks are appealing - many remind me of the commemorative coins, that are either Proof or Circulating...  make a separate album for your tokens and you will fill it fairly soon...   ;))