Author Topic: Muhammad Akbar II (AH1221-23, 1806-37AD), Rupee, Shahjahanabad mint, KM#777  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Muhammad Akbar II (AH1221-1223, 1806-1837 AD), Rupee, Mint Dar-al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad, AH1221, RY Ahd (1), KM#777

Info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbar_Shah_II

Delhi Durbar of Akbar II (attributable to Gulam Murtaza Khan, Delhi School), c. 1820; gouache and gold on paper

Mass=11.2 g
Mint mark=Parasol

Obverse Sikka Mubarak Sahib Qiran Sani Muhammad Akbar Badshah Ghazi (Auspicious Stamped Coin of the Second Lord of the Favourable Conjunction of The Planets, Muhammad Akbar Shah, Emperor, Fighter Against Infidels), (AH)1221

Reverse Zarb Dal-al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad Sanat Ahd Julus Manus Maimanat [Struck at the Seat of Caliphate Shahjahanabad (in) the First Year (of his) Reign Associated With Prosperity]

akona20

Hmmm, there goes half of my night's work.

Got home from cricket umpiring and decided to 'translate' a newly received rupee of Shah Alam 11 from this mint. Well broadly the mint 'side' has been translated for me here with a date difference which even I can work out.

So later I will sit down and work through the other side, how I love that little parasol.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
Dear akona20, you may want to check out this one as well.

akona20

How did you know that was my coin?

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
How did you know that was my coin?
Elementary my dear Wat...akona20

akona20

Hmmm what can I say, nothing for me to do here, lol.

Actually the coin has not arrived , yet. I am hoping for tommorrow. I was very happy with the price I paid.

I was working off the suppliers print of the coin. Then again if anything of this price came up again I would of course be interested.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The parasol is a symbol of royal power. This year, a coin was issued for the author Max Havelaar, who told the story of the Japanese stone-cutter. In the story, the parasol is used to show the limits of royal power. Even today, the story is an excellent read.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

The coin arrived today as expected and looks even better in the hand than the pictures I bought it off.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
The coin arrived today as expected and looks even better in the hand than the pictures I bought it off.
Congratulations. I would love to see it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:37:34 PM by Overlord »

akona20

My abilities with a camera are pretty ordinary but I will see what I can do later today.

akona20

Here we go. My coin of Shah Alam 11 as advised.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:08:17 AM by akona20 »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
The difference is that the first coin is in the name of Muhammad Akbar II and that the last coin is in the name of Shah Alam II, dated AH1196/Ry.23