Author Topic: Babur, Shahrukhi,"Badshah Ghazi" variety (Rahman type 70) Mint: Kabul after 933?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Please help attribute this coin which seems to read Zahir al din Muhammad.... on the obv. Is this the dateless / mintless type or can some one read more on this?

Amit

Does this coin look like a fit case for cleaning?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:45:04 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Babur.......... Please help attribute.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
Does this coin look like a fit case for cleaning?

In the end, it's your decision. Personally, I think cleaning would bring out additional detail, now obscured. As for method, I would prefer ultrasound or electrolysis if available (expensive jewelry shops have ultrasound equipment, building your own electrolysis equipment is not too difficult and described on WoC, forinstructions, see here). If not available, a quick bath in a lightly acidic solution (e.g. lime and water) could do the trick. In both cases, don't overdo it, stay with the coin and remain patient. It is always possible to remove more dirt, it is never possible to restore lost detail.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
...........It is always possible to remove more dirt, it is never possible to restore lost detail.

Exactly what I had in mind......... Just remove some deposition on the coin.......... even rubbing it in liquid soap may damage this coin .........

Amit

Ansari

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:02:58 AM »
Please help attribute this coin which seems to read Zahir al din Muhammad.... on the obv. Is this the dateless / mintless type or can some one read more on this

on the other side its "Kalima".

Your coin looks similar to Babar's coin on this Gallery

http://coinindia.com/galleries-babur.html

Taken from the site
"Babur's coinage was on the pattern of the coinage in Kabul at the time. The thin Babur coins are normally quite flat on one side or the other. This coin is exceptional for the type in that both sides of the coin show portions of a strong strike."

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:16:00 PM by Ansari »

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »
Mintless/Dateless "Badshah Ghazi" variety (Rahman type 70). These are believed to have been struck at Kabul after AH933 (Babur assumed the title "Ghazi" after the Battle of Khanwa).

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Thank you Overlord. You seem to be putting the book to good use.

Amit

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Thank you Overlord. You seem to be putting the book to good use.

Amit
I would probably not have got it without your help. It is an absolute pleasure to read and the quality of photographs is the best I have seen in any book.