Author Topic: 1/2 Rupee of Bharuch or Broach.  (Read 1526 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
1/2 Rupee of Bharuch or Broach.
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:18:38 PM »
This 5.4g coin is a 1/2 Rupee of Bharauch or what was known as Broach. Is this a EIC issue or IPS issue. Is there any way to differentiate the issues except the date which is invariably not seen on these coins.

Amit
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:34:57 AM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: 1/2 Rupee of Bhaurach or Broach.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Is this a EIC issue or IPS issue. Is there any way to differentiate the issues except the date which is invariably not seen on these coins.
Unfortunately not.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: 1/2 Rupee of Bhaurach or Broach.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:05 AM »
Thank you Oesho. I saw the following message here:

Comments of Mr Lingen on SACG Message # 9019 : "The coin to the right shows a cross in the Seen of Jalus, which would indicate an issue of Broach. Whether this will be an E.I.C. or a Sindhia issue can't be determined. Therefore one needs to know the regnal year, which is already almost always absent on the rupee denomination, let alone that on fractions " .
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
Re: 1/2 Rupee of Bharuch or Broach.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
  Greetings to all.

Not only are the Broach rupees with full regnal years extremely hard to find, but, in fact, not all Broach rupees have the 'crosslet cross' or 'St Stephen's cross' as a mint mark.  A few have a flower like the Surat coins, and a few have another kind of flower, I am told ......

If rupees with RYs are rare, half rupees showing both mint mark (or mint name) and RY must be as rare as hens' teeth!  Maybe Oesho can cast some much-needed light on this troublesome series, please?

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:36:27 AM »
  Greetings to all.

Not only are the Broach rupees with full regnal years extremely hard to find, but, in fact, not all Broach rupees have the 'crosslet cross' or 'St Stephen's cross' as a mint mark.  A few have a flower like the Surat coins, and a few have another kind of flower, I am told ......

If rupees with RYs are rare, half rupees showing both mint mark (or mint name) and RY must be as rare as hens' teeth!  Maybe Oesho can cast some much-needed light on this troublesome series, please?

Salvete

Here is half rupee of Broach with RY 34. But yes, as Salvete says, it does not show the "Cross" mintmark. It is indeed hard ti find Broach 1/2 rupee with RY as well as mintmark.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:29:09 AM »
Thanks for the link, Abhay.  As you say, we have to rely on circumstantial evidence to attribute most of them.  I have a half rupee with part of the mint name and RY5  (couldn't be 5x could it?) but no mint mark, and a couple with only half the 'evidence' on the flan.  Absolutely no rupees with regnal years...... yet.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.