News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Token Coins of Tatarstan

Started by Abhay, May 28, 2010, 05:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

TATARSTAN, a Russian state, issued coins in 1993 without DENOMINATION.

Yes, in 1993, Russian state of Tatarstan issued Token Coinage, which had no denomination on them. In fact, these coins were issued as BARTER system exchange tokens.

KM # Tn1 represents 1 Kilo of Bread, and had Wheat Stalks at the reverse. This was made of Bronze.
KM # Tn2 represents 10 Litres of Petrol, and had Oil Well pump at the reverse. This was made of Bronze.
KM # Tn3 represents 20 Litres of Petrol and again had Oil well pump at the reverse. This was made of Copper-Nickle.

The copper nickle Tn3 are often found with test file marks, as many Tn2 were nickle plated to be used for 20 Litres petrol.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

Interesting series!

Found the tower: Söyembikä Manarasi in Kazan, the Tatar answer to the tower of Pisa.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

ciscoins

The bread token started circulating at 1st of November 1992. It was equal to 10 roubles, not to 1 kg of bread. The tokens were minted in Yugoslavia, the mintage was 70 mln. pieces. At that moment Tatarstan was one of the separatist regions (together with Bashkortostan, Chechnya and Yakutiya), but unlike Chechnya it didn't want to make the central government cross. So its attempts to gain independence were double-edged. The perfect example: Tatarstan issued these tokens/coins without denomination (and before that - also checks/banknotes) which were used like a local currency, but officially they were called "social subsidies for local people to buy food for lower prices". And when the central government accused Tatarstan's government in issuing local currency, these tokens were immediately withdrawn from circulation, and then returned, and then withdrawn again.

And the petrolium tokens (bronze) were issued in 1993, I don't know which month exactly. They have never been used like a local currency (maybe the plans changed after the failure with bread tokens). At that moment there was a great shortage of petrolium in all the regions of Russia, and Tatarstan is an oil-producing region, and so its government decided to give or sell these tokens to local people so that they could buy petrolium in priority to other drivers (or maybe at special service stations - ?). But there were so many fakes of these tokens that later they were changed for copper-nickel ones.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Figleaf

I have never seen those in 3D. Are they hard to get?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

The one "Wheat Stalks at the reverse" has an interesting image.  The wheat reminds me of the German Welthungerhilfe medals/tokens of the mid 1980's.

Dale

ciscoins

Quote from: Figleaf on July 03, 2010, 11:25:02 AM
I have never seen those in 3D. Are they hard to get?

It's not aproblem to buy them in Moscow. What do you mean "3D"?
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

Gagarin_Andrey

seems to me "three dimention" when is seen the obverse, the reverse and the third side

(короче, когда видно с сразу гуртом) :)
Interests: Eastern Europe Middle Ages coins

My articles about numismatics
https://independent.academia.edu/AndreiBoikoGagarin

Figleaf

Quote from: ciscoins on July 03, 2010, 02:28:27 PM
What do you mean "3D"?

Sorry. Just a way to say "in reality", or "not just as a picture".

Welcome Andrey!

Peter

Figleaf

I have these tokens now (thanks ciscoins!) Fort the sake of completeness:

KMweight (grams)diameter (mm)edge
Tn 1
reeded
Tn 2
reeded
Tn 3
reeded

I don't yet see how the change from Cu (Tn 2) to copper-nickel (Tn 3) would have made imitation more difficult. On the contrary, the two pieces are practically the same in design, weight and size, so a coating could turn one type into the other and from the discussion it seems that they were indeed coated. For the same reason, it would be impractical to let these two pieces have different values, though I could imagine officials without experience with issuing coins making such a mistake.

Peter

FosseWay

I have just acquired a set of these, and looking at Numismaster it seems the catalogue value has rocketed. I don't trust the figures given there anyway - they are a lot more than I paid for them, from a Tradera seller who knows his stuff.

Anyway, my understanding of the colour/metal change with the oil/petrol token is that at first they issued a brass/bronze token for 10 litres and a Cu-Ni token for 20 litres. But because the tokens are otherwise the same, unscrupulous persons plated the brass tokens with white metal and passed them for 20 litres. Apparently quite a lot of Cu-Ni tokens have edge nicks where they have been filed down to check that they are solid Cu-Ni (mine doesn't have this feature, though of my three, only the Cu-Ni one looks like it has circulated). One wonders why they didn't make the design and/or size different for the two petrol tokens - the fraudulent use would have been pretty predictable.