Author Topic: Jahangir, Rupee mint: Lahore, RY 9, Month: Dai (Capricorn). Ref: KM#145.11  (Read 2336 times)

akona20

Please advise on the attached

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:24:27 AM by asm »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan but after that
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
Jahangir, Rupee mint: Lahore, Date: regnal year 9, struck in the month: Dai (10th month of the Ilahi Calendar, equal to the zodiac sign Capricorn). Ref.: KM#145.11

akona20

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »
Thank you so much.

Misattributed by the supplier.

I would appreciate if you could send me by PM how you worked through this. My study books are in transit to me.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Thank you so much.
Misattributed by the supplier.

Mis appropiation of coins by dealers is a very frequent occurance. However, it is surprising that the supplier identied the coin of Jahangir as a coin of Shah Jahan.

Larger and more clear scans (the forum accepts scans of up to 65kb) of coins with lesser of the background and more of the coin visible would provide a better view of the coin. The obverse of the coin here is almost blurred. I could read the last Akbar Shah and parts of the bottom line but the complete legend is not clear. 

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
It is a very nice coin that you have there. Not very easy to come by.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Dear akona20

Here is are a couple of crude diagrams showing the translation:

Obverse Nur Al-Deen Jahangir Shah (ibn) Akbar Shah  (Light of the Faith King Jahangir, (son of) King Akbar]

Reverse Zarb Lahore Ilahi Mah Di (Struck at Lahore in the Divine month Di), RY 9

akona20

Thank you for the replies. The diagram is wonderful.

It is of course just my luck to select a new collecting area order a coin with high hopes of deciphering it and getting one that is misattributed. I had worked out Lahore simply because it is part of an exercise in Plant but when I got to year 9 which was nothing like the advice i had received on the coin I was finished at this early stage of learning.

However this is an interesting series.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
My thanks added, Overlord. Your diagrams make me realize time and again how little I still know.

@ akona20, it all seems so easy after Overlord has worked his magic, but it is so bloody difficult before I am grateful for the experts we have here. Much can be achieved with a copy (even an old one) of KM. It lists the name of the moguls and mint names. It has a table with numbers. Easy words like zarb can be learned with Plant. From there on, it gets really complicated, as you can read in earlier threads that local rulers issued coins imitating those of the centre and opium traders and others made coins from neat imitations to wild fantasies of copper coins. Welcome to a hobby that will last several lifetimes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

akona20

Well our local library has a copy of KM which I will study and with the rest of my newly acquired Library and Zeno's data base I will start having a great deal of fun. It must be said that it is a big step from looking at what the books say is inscribed on a coin and actually working through the coin to uncover each and every point (given that some is likely to be off flan).

I am almost there with my next coin that is in the mail, just a little more work to do.