Author Topic: Learning Persian Script: Mughal Coins  (Read 3678 times)

akona20

Learning Persian Script: Mughal Coins
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:03:55 AM »
Please advise if there is a source to learn the script on Mughal coins.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Learning Persian Script: Mughal Coins
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »
Dear akona20

Welcome to World of Coins!
I think you will find Arabic Coins and How to Read Them by Richard Plant quite helpful. For reading Mughal coins, I can also recommend the following books:

Silver and Gold
Couplets on Mughal Coins of India by Manik Jain

Copper
The Copper Coins of India (Volumes I and II) by W.H. Valentine

And there are many at the forum, including myself, who share your interest and would be glad to help.  :)

akona20

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48:34 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I have Plant around here somewhere and will look to find the others.

As I approach at least semi retirement I wanted to do a little more formal study on it. I have Brown, Wright and Whitehead and this sparked some interest.

Thank you for the offer of help. Over time I will post a few of the coins I have.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:07:50 AM »
And a welcome from me too!
For learning to read Arabic, only somewhat important in attempting to read Persian coins (and I am being somewhat sarcastic, but serious too  ???), try "The Arabic Alphabet by Nicholas Awde & Putros Samano.  AND, do check up on Overlord's incredible diagrams in WOC. 

Overlord, I have a list of such coins, but they are a bit unwieldly.  Do you have an easy way for akona20 to access them?
richie

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Overlord, I have a list of such coins, but they are a bit unwieldly.  Do you have an easy way for akona20 to access them?
richie
Master lazy. No update indexes in long time.
Og help friend human. Make list of threads this weekend.

Og

akona20

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »
I have looked at some of Overlord's rather brilliant work and can but dream. In the meantime the study will start.

This older fool still umpires and plays cricket but there is still time to learn new things.

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »
Depending on the series you want to follow up, Akona, some of the decent catalogues show the legends in Persian, with a transliteration and translation.  I have found this a very instructive way to tackle the problem - trying to match my own specimens with the explanations in such works.  'Maratha Mints and Coinage' by Maheshwari and Wiggins is one such, and 'Coins of the Sindhias' by Lingen and Wiggins is another.  Some help in Dr Michiners books also.  Articles in the Journal of the ONS usually include such data, and there are other sources as well.  I have proved to be a slow learner, but we all wish you well in learning the few dozen words that will enable you to read the kings' names and mint names.  The figures (therefore the dates) are much easier, of course.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
I fully agree to what Overlord recomends and the only thing better than that, as Richie says is the 'incredible diagrams in WOC". That you will find only here on this forum. I learnt a lot from the work of Overlord and the Manik Jain book.

The other books recomended by Salvete are indispensible if you were interested in the IPS coins or even narrower field of perticular states.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"