Author Topic: Jahangir, Dam, Mint: Agra, AH 1021 / RY 7, Rawani couplet, KM#126.1  (Read 1142 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The date suggests that the coin is a coin of Jahangir issued in Ah 1021 RY 7. The reverse looks as if it is double struck or the coin was struck on another coin.

Please help attribution with a KM reference if possible.

Amit
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:22:06 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Jahangir?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:17:07 PM »
Here you will find all the details requested for.
The coin may have been struck over an earlier issue. Not an uncommon feature of this series.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Jahangir, Dam, Mint: Agra, AH 1021 / RY 7, Rawani couplet, KM#126.1
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
Dear Oesho,

Thank you very much for the attribution.

I had read somewhere that the overstriking was done to show the supiriority of the emperor over the ruler whose coins were used for the overstriking. is this true? My belief was that the old worn blanks were used for striking to reduce production costs.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Jahangir?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
The coin may have been struck over an earlier issue. Not an uncommon feature of this series.

I have learned from this quote that some series are more subject to overstrikes than others. This may indeed be a local cost saving policy, but it can also be a method to convert a large number of politically incorrect coins into politically correct coins. Unless you now much more about the circumstances, it may be difficult to separate the two motifs.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.