Author Topic: Privately produced jewelery copy of a Shahjahanabad rupee of Muhammad Shah  (Read 1137 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Please help attribute this rupee which appears to be an issue of Jaiselmir with the psedu mint name of Dar al-Khilafat, Shahjahanabad. RY 22.

Amit

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:56:17 PM by Rangnath »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: A Rupee Jaisalmir?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
I can not be of any help Amit.  :(
I recognize this as a rupee of Jaisalmir (what is the weight?  Could it be a copy?)  in the Akhey Shahi series.
In the obverse, I looked to see what I can see above the "n" in "giran" but I can see little of interest.  Is the Schroff mark concealing something?  The calligraphy of the coin looks disconnected.  I looked in the standard catalog for similar examples but I don't see any.  But I admit, I have little experience with such coins. 
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: A Rupee Jaisalmir?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
Dear Amit,
Despite the fact that the coin bears the Ry.22 of Muhammad Shah, the fabric and calligraphy is too alien to be of Jaisalmer. It remains just a guess who’s fabricated this odd rupee, but it looks more like a privately produced jewellery piece.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: Privately produced jewellery (?) copy of a Jaisalmir Rupee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
Thanks Oesho. 
I changed the title to "Privately produced jewelery (?) copy of a Jaisalmir Rupee. I wonder how you, Oesho, would have framed it.  I feel confident about the word "copy", but I suppose there could be other explanations for intent besides a Jeweler's, hense the use of (?).  Perhaps knowing the weight might help.
richie

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Privately produced jewellery (?) copy of a Jaisalmir Rupee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
Perhaps knowing the weight might help.
richie
The weight is 11.2g

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Privately produced jewelery (?) copy of a Jaisalmir Rupee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »
The coin is not an imitation of Jaisalmer, but of the Mughal rupee of Muhammad Shah of Shahjahanabad (=Delhi), Ry.22. This jewellers imitation and the rupee of Jaiasalmer used the same proto-type, but have no relation with each other.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
I've changed the title accordingly and moved it to its appropriate location.
thanks Amit.  With the weight, Oesho's designation of Jewelery copy seems spot on. 
And thanks Oesho.  The subtle (or not too subtle) difference between this Mughal issue and that of Jaisalmer makes a huge difference in terms of the suitable location of this coin.
And,
we've certainly added interest value to your coin Amit.
richie