Decimal coins from an earlier era

Started by UK Decimal +, March 05, 2010, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK Decimal +

Before that day in 1971, there were earlier attempts to introduce decimal currency into Britain and an example is given below.   At the time, there were twenty shillings to the pound, and the florin (= two shillings) was first introduced in 1849 although there are a few patterns from 1848.   In 1851 this version, known as the 'Gothic' florin, was introduced.   Note that the date is shown in the Roman way, mdccclxxii for 1872.

I am using this type of coin as my avatar to show how my interests have grown from just decimal coinage.

I would be interested in learning more about the early attempts at decimalisation and hope that others may be able to help with the story.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

RHM22

Is it known why the date is displayed in Roman numerals rather than Arabic? My guess would be that it was because the design is Gothic in nature, but it's just that; a guess.

UK Decimal +

Yes, that's my guess too.   The previous (first) issue is known as the 'Godless florin' because the F.D. or Fid. Def. (Defender of the Faith) is omitted.

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

translateltd

Quote from: UK Decimal + on March 05, 2010, 11:22:14 PM
Yes, that's my guess too.   The previous (first) issue is known as the 'Godless florin' because the F.D. or Fid. Def. (Defender of the Faith) is omitted.

Bill.

... which always strikes me as weird, because almost all British copper coins prior to the 19th century lack any reference to D.G. at all.  Perhaps people were upset because it was an unusual omission on *silver* coins at the time.  (D.G. was the abbreviation at issue rather than F.D., though I believe both were absent from the 1848-49 florins in any case.)

UK Decimal +

I've found an illustration of the Godless florin.   It has neither D.G. nor F.D., so it certainly is 'Godless'.   But it is a 'decimal' coin, having the inscription 'one tenth of a pound'.

Bill.

tonyclayton

This is my own gothic florin, one I am very proud to own!

UK Decimal +

UK Decimal +

Another offering, a double-florin - and this is still legal tender at 20p.

Bill.