Author Topic: 1/4 Seer Mysore.  (Read 3141 times)

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
1/4 Seer Mysore.
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
Today in an Antique shop

I saw 1.4 SEER of Mysore 1912. Ad they offered it for 1500 Rupees.  About 30 US$. The condition was beaten.... Is it worth for the amount to buy this piece?\

The antique shop attender did not allow me to take a photograph....

Thx
Nomadbird

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1/4 Seer Mysore.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:10:28 PM »
I find it strange that you were not allowed to photograph the coin. Don't they know how many fakes there are? Their attitude makes buying the coin risky, unless they guarantee that you get your money back if the coin turn outs to be a fake.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »
Peter,

I believe he is talking of a weight and not a coin. But yes, out here, antique shops (with the ridiculous prices) very often do not permit photography.

Nirmal,

I had seen a Gwalior weight being sold @ 1500 a couple of years back in Ahmedabad as well as in Jodhpur. However, the same guy was selling other weights at Cast Iron value x 2 which then worked out to about Rs 80 per kilo.

Amit.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:25:18 AM »
Yeah Peter, As Amit said it was a 1/4 Seer Mysore 1912 weight.... And not sure if this is worth for buying.. let me postpone the idea....
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 05:09:21 AM »
.......... it was a 1/4 Seer Mysore 1912 weight.... And not sure if this is worth for buying.. let me postpone the idea....

1912 could well be Vikram Samvat date........ making it 1856 AD......... well worth investing......

Amit

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
If the legends are clear, and can be read easily, I think you should go for it. Old weights are rare to find.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline nomadbird

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
If the legends are clear, and can be read easily, I think you should go for it. Old weights are rare to find.

Abhay

The legends are very clear.... only thing is its color is very dark.... due to the number of years.... But probably can be cleaned.... I may go for it now.... thanks
Thx
Nomadbird

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:15:13 AM »
The legends are very clear.... only thing is its color is very dark.... due to the number of years.... But probably can be cleaned.... I may go for it now.... thanks

If you have picked it up, would love to see the pictures....

Amit

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
Not the Mysore, but Gwalior 1/4 Seer weight, that I purchased a long time ago. The letters "Maa Aa See Ba" stands for "Maharaja Alizah Scinde Bahadur".

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY