News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mexico 5 Pesos 2008-2010

Started by andyg, March 02, 2010, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Thought it might be nice to produce a complete list of these...

2008 Issues - Centenary of the revolution

1) Francisco J. Múgica
2) Francisco Villa
3) Álvaro Obregón
4) José Vasconcelos
5) Ricardo Flores Magón
6) Heriberto Jara

andyg

andyg

2009 Centenary of the revolution

1) Eulalio Gutiérrez
2) Filomeno Mata (no page)
3) Belisario Domínguez
4) Andrés Molina Enríquez
5) Carmen Serdan (no page)
6) Luis Cabrera (I think this is the right one)
7) Otilio Montaño

andyg

2009 Bicentennial of independence

1) Nicolás Bravo
2) Agustín de Iturbide
3) Leona Vicario
4) Pedro Moreno
5) Jose Maria Cos (no page)
6) Servando Teresa de Mier

RHM22

They sure do like to commemorate criminals on their coinage! These go well with the Che Guevara pesos.

Bimat

Those are some nice coins :) I especially like the theme.Do these coins actually circulate?Because the e-bay prices for these coins are unbelievable!

Quote from: RHM22 on March 03, 2010, 03:26:25 AM
They sure do like to commemorate criminals on their coinage! These go well with the Che Guevara pesos.

George W.Bush will appear on presidential $1 coin in 2017,I guess.. :D So Mexico is not the only country doing that!.. :P

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

RHM22

Well, George W. Bush won't appear on the presidential dollar unless he dies 2 years before 2017. That's why Jimmy Carter (and Reagan, since Reagan was president after Carter) won't be on a coin. Richard Nixon will be on a coin, though, and he actually was a criminal.

RHM22

Also, scoundrels such as Andrew Johnson will be featured on our presidential coins. Even the spineless James Buchanan will "grace" the coins. The fact that the only president from my home state was such a dandy coward brings shame upon me.

andyg

Quote from: numismatica on March 03, 2010, 05:48:13 PM
Those are some nice coins :) I especially like the theme.Do these coins actually circulate?Because the e-bay prices for these coins are unbelievable!

George W.Bush will appear on presidential $1 coin in 2017,I guess.. :D So Mexico is not the only country doing that!.. :P

Aditya

As far as I know they do circulate - they certainly seem to crop up in junk lots on ebay with other circulated coins. As for price they cost me 2 euros each from a friend of mine in Germany.
Now I've just got to find the 2010 issues, but it's much cheaper to wait until next year, then buy a full set.

andyg

I can't make my mind up if this fellow either has a beard or is being attacked by some sort of killer moth?

chrisild

Quote from: AJG on March 03, 2010, 12:36:22 AM
6) Luis Cabrera (I think this is the right one)

Yep, that's him. The central bank has some info in Spanish about the series here: Héroes de la Independencia and Figuras de la Revolución ...

Christian

MS

Criminal or not, killer moth or not, either which way, they are a lovely set of commemorative bi-metallics to add to your collection. Congratulations AJG!!

ciscoins

Quote from: RHM22 on March 03, 2010, 03:26:25 AM

And George Washington dollars.
Every revolution is a crime, but there will be no history without revolutions.
Ivan
Moscow, Russia

RHM22

Quote from: ciscoins on March 04, 2010, 02:18:22 PM
And George Washington dollars.
Every revolution is a crime, but there will be no history without revolutions.

George Washington might have been a criminal in his day, but he was a little different than Pancho Villa. Some of Villa's ideals were good, but he conducted himself in a very bad way. Though his attacks against the Mexican dictatorship were supported by the United States at first by the supplying of weaponry and ammunition, Woodrow Wilson later ordered that no more money or goods would be sanctioned for use by Villa. Angered by this, Villa's men captured a train and killed several Americans, and later conducted a raid on a town in New Mexico. After the attack on Columbus, the American military pursued Villa into Mexico in a military operation known as the Punitive Expedition. Of course, the military was unsuccessful, but Villa is widely considered a criminal in the United States, whilst he is a hero across the border.

chrisild

Quote from: RHM22 on March 04, 2010, 02:44:16 PM
Villa is widely considered a criminal in the United States, whilst he is a hero across the border.

Maybe so, but just as the US issues coins for Americans from a "US perspective", Mexico issues coins for Mexicans from their point of view. And this "Figures of the Revolution" series apparently covers both sides: Villa later was angy at the US government as they supported his rival Carranza - well, this year Venustiano Carranza will be on one of those $5 coins. Oh, and Emiliano Zapata will be on another one ...

Christian