Looking for the term for paper pressed into "coins"?

Started by oldmoney, February 20, 2010, 01:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmoney

Can someone supply the term for paper pressed into "coins" or the process there of?

There were "coins" during the Spanish siege of Leyden in 1574 which were made of

covers and pages of church missals, hymnals for obsidional use, but the term for the

process and technical name for these paper coins escapes me.

"Numigeoarthistography: Using coins in the instruction of Geography, Art and History" ~ Gar Travis

translateltd

Quote from: oldmoney on February 20, 2010, 01:23:42 AM
Can someone supply the term for paper pressed into "coins" or the process there of?

There were "coins" during the Spanish siege of Leyden in 1574 which were made of

covers and pages of church missals, hymnals for obsidional use, but the term for the

process and technical name for these paper coins escapes me.

Fig. 135 in "COINS" by John Porteous (1964) just refers to a "paper 28 stuivers", but nothing about how it was produced.  I assume the paper was moistened and compacted first to enable it to be struck.  I have some papers somewhere about these issues (they could be in Dutch) but it would take me a while to find them.  From memory, the highest denominations are meant to be fantasies produced retrospectively for collectors.

Figleaf

The story is mostly correct. Some of the emergency issues have fallen apart and they did indeed contain paper from books used in catholic services, but also other paper.

As for the term you are looking for, could it be papier-mâché?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

I actually managed to find the articles I was looking for - my filing system seems to have worked for once.  The two articles are in Dutch - one unnamed and unsourced, sadly, the other by EJA van Beek, De munten van Leiden, geslagen tijdens de belegeringen van 1573 en 1574.  Van Beek says (p. 56) that you can see from some coins in which the various layers of paper have come loose that they were made from "old printed paper", and that although some writers report that they were made of parchment from old RC church missals, he himself had never been able to confirm this from any examples that he had examined.

translateltd

Quote from: Figleaf on February 20, 2010, 03:06:16 AM

As for the term you are looking for, could it be papier-mâché?

I originally thought Peter's suggestion was pretty good, and maybe it's as close as we're going to get.  However, if our anonymous Dutch writer says he has seen the individual layers flaking apart sufficiently to identify them as *not* being parts of church books, maybe that suggests that the process wasn't quite as thorough as we might normally expect for papier-mache.  Especially if they were intended only for short-term use, it's likely they were only moistened (or glued) then struck with coin dies, which would have had the effect of providing further compression.

Interesting that the Dutch articles identify the piece illustrated by Porteous (the 28 stuivers of 1574) as a later fantasy, probably 17th century.