News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ilkhans, Abaqa Khan, Arabic text, Date?, AR Dirham, Aymid (for Amid) mint

Started by aws22, March 16, 2024, 07:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkk

Jonathan

aws22

Thank you Jonathan, what I thought that the word " Ahmad أحمد " was actually the mint place Aymid (for Amid) and that diverted my attention from the acual ruler Abaqa whose name is partially visible in the margin of right photo. The other word which was not clear is " al-Milk Lillah الملك لله " above the word Muhammad in the left photo. Those findings solved the puzzle.

Maythem

Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

jkk

One great thing about Semitic languages is that the root system gives us helpful clues. For example, while I would still have to look up al-milk, I would have an idea what it meant because of the mim-lam-kaf root, which we of course find in 'malik' as king, thus we infer that 'milk' has something to do with rulership in some way. I don't know how many verbs are made from mim-lam-kaf, but if one ran across a verb containing it, one would have a pretty good idea it had to do with sovereignty or the exertion thereof.

Of course, Maythem, for those who actually speak the Arabic language, those cues probably don't mean much. But for those who took a few months of community education Arabic, plus one quarter of Arabic calligraphy in college about 38 years ago, they mean a great deal.
Jonathan

aws22

Thank you Jonathan, in Arabic " Malik ملك " has few differnt meanings:
King
Owns somethig
Angel
Plus others.
In this coin " al-Mulk Lillah الملك لله ", translated as (Sovereignty belongs to Allah).

Maythem

Figleaf

I tried hard to find the coin in Zeno without results. Searching for the Amid mint yielded Seljuk and Ottoman coins and searching for "Abaqa" gave me lots of Ilkan coins, but mostly from Tiflis and nothing from the Amid mint. May I conclude that this is a (pretty far out) discovery type?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22