News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Pakistan Commemorative Coins

Started by Iftikhar Ahmad, December 22, 2023, 05:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iftikhar Ahmad

It's a variation of the Square Kufic Script.

Iftikhar Ahmad

In 1976 Pakistan prepared the following 6 coins that were issued in 1977 except for the 50 paisa coin which was issued in 1976

1. Paisa 50 on the Birth Centenary of Quaid-i-Azam (prepared and issued by Pakistan Mint)
2. Rs 100 on the Birth Centenary of Quaid-i-Azam (prepared and issued by Royal Mint UK)
3. Rs 500 on the Birth Centenary of Quaid-i-Azam (prepared and issued by Royal Mint UK)
4. Rs 100 on WWF Conservation Series (prepared and issued by Royal Mint UK)
5. Rs 150 on WWF Conservation Series (prepared and issued by Royal Mint UK)
6. Rs 3000 on WWF Conservation Series (prepared and issued by Royal Mint UK)

Iftikhar Ahmad

This concludes the topic of commemorative coins of Pakistan. Future issues will be updated on this topic.

Following are the size references of all of the commemorative coins of Pakistan.

coinote

Are these commemorative coins can be obtained by people from the banks at face value? I mean the ones in base metal, not silver nor gold.

quaziright

Thanks, I will keep in mind whenever I know of a friend/work colleague going to Pakistan

Iftikhar Ahmad

You can purchase commemorative coins from the counters of State Bank, but only for few days after issuance. Normally they are out of stock in two days.

After that you can purchase them from coin dealers all over the country.

jkk

Quote from: Iftikhar Ahmad on December 31, 2023, 06:06:24 AMIn 2016 Pakistan Mint prepared and issued 1 commemorative coin.

1. Rs. 50 on Abdul Sattar Edhi (1928 - 2016)

Which script is that on the reverse? A simple ruq'a?
Jonathan

coinote

Quote from: Iftikhar Ahmad on January 11, 2024, 02:38:24 PMYou can purchase commemorative coins from the counters of State Bank, but only for few days after issuance. Normally they are out of stock in two days.

After that you can purchase them from coin dealers all over the country.
So people can get these coins at face value over the counter in the stste bank? And it is a good deal for the bank to issue 550 rupee coins as the size, weight and composition is exactly the same as those of 50 or 100 rupee coins

Figleaf

Compliments for the artwork, Iftikhar Ahmad! Well done. Does your method also work for old coins?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Iftikhar Ahmad

Thanks, Peter for your compliments. I am not a graphic designer but I can work on coin designs. I worked from scratch on these coin designs. It took me months to complete these designs.

Figleaf

Quote from: Iftikhar Ahmad on January 14, 2024, 06:36:08 PMI can work on coin designs. I worked from scratch on these coin designs.

I asked about older coins because Mughal coins are usually struck on flans that are too small for the dies. We have plenty of pictures of these coins. When I did a search for Lahore, I got 17 pages of hits. There are many more pictures on our partner site Zeno. I was hoping that with your technique, it would be possible to reconstruct what a complete die would have looked like.

Unfortunately, many dies were used for the same type/year/mint, so it takes some artistic liberty to reconstruct a die, but it may be possible.

Quote from: Iftikhar Ahmad on January 14, 2024, 06:36:08 PMIt took me months to complete these designs.

I am aware of that. I once tried to make an acceptable drawing of a really very simple telephone token from Uzbekistan on the basis of an illustration whose owner refused me the right to publish it with ProCreate on an iPad. I failed (I have zero artistic talent). Fortunately, another photo from a nicer owner surfaced. You have my respect for what you have done.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.