Berlin: Anna ruble fetches more than €400,000

Started by chrisild, February 01, 2010, 12:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

The Künker auctions at the World Money Fair in Berlin this weekend ended with a record: The more than 1,100 items fetched a total of more than 5 million euro. The most expensive piece was this trial (?) ruble from 1730:

Some buyer paid a whopping €410,000 for the coin. http://www.kuenker.de/onlineAuctionOrderDetail.asp?lid=1&nid=148&lager=00057&dsnr=1092&los=1110  That makes it the most expensive coin ever auctioned in Germany ...

Christian

Figleaf

A magnificent piece. I wonder why Anna didn't have it mass produced. I hope some museum bought it. It belongs in the public sphere.

That's an average of over €4500 per item auctioned (auctioneer's fee not included, I guess). Good for Künker, but I wonder if it doesn't give a totally wrong image of the hobby. I don't think coin collecting is about rarities, patterns and big money. You can build a collection that - while far from "complete" - gives a fair impression of coins in circulation while never spending more than $50 on a single piece. Some of the best things in coin collecting (an extensive trade, an enlargement of a very detailed design, finding rejected designs in government archives) are even virtually free. They "cost" energy, not money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

RHM22

Quote from: Figleaf on February 01, 2010, 12:45:09 PM
A magnificent piece. I wonder why Anna didn't have it mass produced. I hope some museum bought it. It belongs in the public sphere.

That's an average of over €4500 per item auctioned (auctioneer's fee not included, I guess). Good for Künker, but I wonder if it doesn't give a totally wrong image of the hobby. I don't think coin collecting is about rarities, patterns and big money. You can build a collection that - while far from "complete" - gives a fair impression of coins in circulation while never spending more than $50 on a single piece. Some of the best things in coin collecting (an extensive trade, an enlargement of a very detailed design, finding rejected designs in government archives) are even virtually free. They "cost" energy, not money.

Peter

I agree. Though these sales are interesting and fun to watch, I think they actually damage the hobby slightly.

gxseries

Just in case people can't understand German, this particular Russian ruble is actually a pattern coin which was never released for circulation. Therefore this coin could only have come from museums or private owners.

andyg

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) of these is that if Mr Rich Person decided that he didn't have a certain coin in his collection he could go to the mint and get them to make one....

Figleaf

Replace "Rich" by "Influential" and you are describing novodels. Some people collect them. Don't know if this piece is a novodel, though. Having coins made on demand is not unheard of in Britain either...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.