Murad Baksh. Mint: Ahmedabad. Rupee with month Azar and without month AH 1068.

Started by asm, November 29, 2023, 11:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Muhammad Murad Bakhsh was born on 9th October 1624, at the Rohtasgarh Fort in Bihar, as the sixth and youngest surviving son of Emperor Shah Jahan and his wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Murad's siblings included Crown Prince Dara Shikoh and the future Emperor Aurangzeb as well as his two politically powerful sisters, Princesses Jahanara Begum and Roshanara Begum.
He was appointed as the Subadar of Multan (1642), Balkh (16 February 1646 to 9 August 1646), Kashmir (20 August 1647 to July 1648), Deccan (25 July 1648 to 14 September 1649), Kabul (23 January 1650 to 1654), and Gujarat (March 1654), and Malwa.
On receiving reports that his father was ill, on 30 November 1657 he proclaimed himself Emperor at Ahmedabad. Later he joined hands with Aurangzeb to defeat Dara Shikhoh, the eldest son of Shah Jahan. In fact, it was the ferocious charge led by Murad Bakhsh and his Sowars that eventually turned the tide of the battle in favor of Aurangzeb during the Battle of Samugarh. While he was in a tent with Aurangzeb, he was intoxicated and sent to prison. He was later transferred to Gwalior Fort in January 1659. Thus ended the brief six month rule of Murad Baksh. On 14 December 1661, after spending three years in prison, he was executed at Gwalior Fort.
In the short reign of about 6 months, coins in the name of Murad Baksh are known minted at the mints of Ahmedabad, Surat and Khambayat. I have been told of the existance of a coin from Junagadh but have not had the fortune to see an image. What is surprising is that in the month of AZAR 1068, coins were mints with month name. Here are Rupees of Ahmedabad mint, minted in the name of Murad Baksh with and without the name of the month.

Reproduced here are both type of rupees - from Ahmedabad. I'll be doing the same with Surat and Khambayat (when I get the coin).

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

capnbirdseye

A very interesting somewhat short reign at 6 months and yet a fair number of coins were produced. I have both Ahmedabad and Surat and I'm not sure if they have Azar visible ?
Vic

asm

Vic, the number of variations is crazy. For a brief reign, most of which saw wars, it is inexplicable.

The top coin that you have posted is probably Ahmedabad - the top part of the 'H' of Ahmedabad is clearly seen. On the same side at the top there is the RY - ahd which leaves no room for the month.

The lower coin is Surat (as is fairly clear) with the top quadrant showing the Ilahi mah legend (Azar may be off the flan).

Amit

krishna

Quote from: asm on November 29, 2023, 11:11:48 AMReproduced here are both type of rupees - from Ahmedabad. I'll be doing the same with Surat and Khambayat (when I get the coin).

Amit
Wow, indeed, very informative, thanks

Figleaf

Murad Baksh had an "interesting" relation with Aurangzeb. On the one hand a valued ally and capable warrior, on the other hand a potential competitor for the throne. As Aurangzeb strengthened his claim, Murad Baksh was captured, but not killed until three years after his capture.

[speculation] Could it be that Murad Baksh had sincere followers in the areas where he was Subadar? It would have made it a cautious move to keep him alive, but firmly in the hands of Aurangzeb. As an ally of Aurangzeb, it would have been impossible to treat him as a criminal, until Aurangzeb was secure on the throne and Murad Baksh became a pure liability as someone who could unite Aurangzeb's enemies.

If so, it seems possible that it would have been tolerated that the followers of Murad Baksh would strike coins in his name with a frozen date and fictitious mint in the period from Murad Baksh' capture to death. As the minting would have been haphazard and in several improvised installations, a number different types would be a logical consequence.[/speculation]
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Peter, your speculation is partially fact. Murad had a good army and solid support. Aurangzeb could not risk disposing him till he was secured on the throne of Shahjahanabad. It was well after his official (third) coronation that he dared to remove the thorn from his flesh.
As to the speculation......... I would not be so sure. Just need to check the history of Murad and see if any interesting event happened in that month to warrant such an issue - that too from all 3 mints from where his coins are known (Coins of Junagadh are as yet not recorded). It is likely that the Governors or mint masters were changed which resulted in these changes.

Amit