News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Any information for this coin ?

Started by Growl62, July 13, 2023, 08:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Growl62

Hi there,

I'm looking for any informations about this coin

11.40 g
16 mm

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards from France

asm

"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Growl62

Quote from: asm on July 14, 2023, 07:16:24 AMA Sultanate Coin for sure.

Amit

Thanks Amit.
Why do you write "fore sure" ?
I want to learn

saro

I agree with Amit : this coin looks very like a sultanate falus, from Bahmani may be ? (according to its weight)
I think that the top picture shows only a religious formula; I suggest :
 "  كريم الرحما بالله...Karim / al-rhama be-Allah .." (+ something else at bottom) / God (Karim = the merciful) / the mercy of Allah.
the other face could give : "...sultan Shah Muhammad..(or Mahmud ?)

Unfortunately no ID ? Help is still needed
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

asm

Quote from: Growl62 on July 14, 2023, 07:26:12 AMWhy do you write "fore sure" ?
I want to learn
Since I am unable to read Persian or Arabic, I rely on experience. I could see the legend on the lower image is Muhammad or Mahmud Shah al Sultan ....... which is seen only on the coins of the Sultanates and not on the Mughal coins after Humayun......

Amit   
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

saro

That's what I would transcript
(diiacritic dots are absent)

Growl62

Quote from: saro on July 14, 2023, 06:57:52 PMI agree with Amit : this coin looks very like a sultanate falus, from Bahmani may be ? (according to its weight)
I think that the top picture shows only a religious formula; I suggest :
 "  كريم الرحما بالله...Karim / al-rhama be-Allah .." (+ something else at bottom) / God (Karim = the merciful) / the mercy of Allah.
the other face could give : "...sultan Shah Muhammad..(or Mahmud ?)

Unfortunately no ID ? Help is still needed

Thanks a lot Saro.
Really hard to find something similar even in Bahmani....

Growl62

Quote from: asm on July 15, 2023, 03:19:51 AMSince I am unable to read Persian or Arabic, I rely on experience. I could see the legend on the lower image is Muhammad or Mahmud Shah al Sultan ....... which is seen only on the coins of the Sultanates and not on the Mughal coins after Humayun......

Amit   

Thanks a lot Amit

drnsreedhar

The style corresponds to Gujarat Sultans'. Ahmad Shah III had similar issues. Please see G529 G&G. Your lower image is similar to the reverse, reading "(ahmad shah bin) mahmud shah al sultan". "ahmad shah bin" is placed to the right of "mahmud shah" and is off flan. This fixes the ruler. The other side is not just as on the illustration, but close to it. It is not uncommon to find variations in the legend arrangements in the case of Gujarat coins. This can reasonably be attributed to Ahmad Shah III of Gujarat. Thanks
Dr.Sreedhar

saro

Nice to have persevered in identifying this coin, :applause:   it's well the falus of sultan Ahmad Shah III of Gujarat : G&G 529 with only a variant of writing : "al-Rahman" written : " الرحمان  " instead of " الرحمن "