The pristine style: elegant, minimalist, somewhat geometric

Started by <k>, March 04, 2023, 08:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Germany 5 DM 2001.jpg

Germany, 5 Deutsche Mark.

Beautiful coin designs exist in profusion. Some show exotic scenery in intricate detail.

Others are decidedly minimalist in style yet still project an impressive elegance.

The denomination side of this old German 5 DM coin is one such.

The design is minimalist and functional, yet still smart and attractive.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Austria, 10 groschen, 1986.

This old alumimium Austrian coin is another example.

It impresses by its geometric effects. That is one of the characteristics of this particular style.

The text is made an integral and deeply impressive part of the design.

ÖSTERREICH (AUSTRIA) curves around the bottom of the obverse of the coin, and the word REPUBLIK is slotted magnificently within it, so that it is straight at the top but curved at the bottom, and it stretches panoramically to fit the space, while the national eagle hovers above it. Perfect - like the opening credits of an old blockbuster film!

Look also at the way in which the word GROSCHEN curls around most of the reverse of the coin in large, wide, bold text.

These designs are a visual treat, impelling you to focus on their artful geometry.

<k>

Sweden 5 ore 1970.jpg

Sweden 5 ore 1970.webp 

Sweden, 5 ore, 1970.

Austria, Germany - now over to Sweden

This style tends not to be a southern European thing.

Look at those neatly recessed areas.

They give the coin a more sculptured, three-dimensional look.

<k>

Sweden 25 ore 1973.jpg

Sweden 25 ore 1973-.jpg 

Sweden, 25 ore, 1973.

More pristine elegance from the Swedes.

These designs are so sleek, they could almost be logos.

<k>

Swedish-Coin-50-Ore-King-Carl-XVI-Gustaf-Sweden-1976-1991_500x.webp

Sweden, 50 ore, 1976.

The Swedes really do excel at this.

Here the stylish geometry hits you straight in the eye.

<k>

Sweden 10 kronor 2001.webp

Sweden, 10 kronor, 2001.

The oft seen three crowns merge here with the denomination numerals.

The text is beautifully placed and balanced.

Plenty of pristine uncluttered space is left.

<k>

Sweden, 5 öre, 1947.

The three crowns again, in another beautifully balanced design.

<k>

Sweden, 1 krona, 1979.

"It wasn't until I saw my portrait on a coin that I realised I was an android", the King of Sweden wrote in his autobiography. "Why didn't you tell me this before?" he demanded of his prime minister. "Your majesty, I well remember my pain as a child when I was informed that I was adopted. I was only trying to protect you".

"That night I cried myself to sleep", the King wrote, "and in order to assuage my anxiety I briefly became an oil-oholic , drinking up to 20 cans of oil per day."  :o

Yet his portrait remains a classic of its pristine kind.  :)

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on March 04, 2023, 08:22:45 PMThe denomination side of this old German 5 DM coin is one such.

The design is minimalist and functional, yet still smart and attractive.

Not that I dislike it, but as you know, this was a "workaround". Whenever I see such an image, I think of Wolfgang Doehm's original design:

5dm75design.jpg

The vending industry opposed that because the rim of varying width would not work well with machines. The solution? Not a new design but a not-so-great modification.  :-\

chrisild

Quote from: <k> on March 04, 2023, 09:03:17 PMSweden, 10 kronor, 2001.

Yes, I like that one too, particularly the combination of the crowns (the "lesser coat of arms") and the digits, as you mentioned. But shouldn't the motto above and the word "kronor" below be a little further left? Or, if the designer did not want too much symmetry, one of the text elements could have been at the top left and the other one on the bottom right (or the other way round).

As for the king's portrait, several kingdoms in Europe (also BE and NL) "played" with royal effigies. Some got quite abstract, but I am sure that, had His or Her Majesty not liked them, they would not have been used.

<k>

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on March 04, 2023, 09:37:04 PMBut shouldn't the motto above and the word "kronor" below be a little further left? Or, if the designer did not want too much symmetry, one of the text elements could have been at the top left and the other one on the bottom right (or the other way round).

Clearly he did not want too much symmetry, but he used the text to top and tail the wide numeral zero rather than the narrow "1" - an unexpected touch that adds a bit of interest.

chrisild

As for the Austrian 10 Groschen coin, some of the design elements I like, others ... for example, the digits indicating the face value. "Hmm, will people understand this is a 10 groschen coin if it says '10 groschen' on one side?" "Nah, let us also put the 10, two times, on the other side." Had they not done that, there would have been room on the eagle side to spread the word Österreich out much like the word Groschen. (The Austrians did something like that again on their euro and cent coins by the way. Sigh.)

The Swedish 5 öre coin (reply #2) I find quite appealing. The way the digits, letters etc. are not raised as usual looks good, and reminds me (a little) of their copper plate money. Side note: The Economy Museum's website has an image of that coin right on its English language front page.

<k>

Yes, the denomination (10, shown twice) on the obverse (eagle side) of the 10 groschen is unnecessary.

Some countries do that.  See: Coins with the denomination on both sides.