Copper Falus - ID query / IPS Bhopal 1/4 anna of Shah Jahan Begum

Started by tjj67, August 17, 2022, 02:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjj67

Hello All,
I am looking to try and ID this coin which I believe is a copper falus issue.

Coin weighs 7.67g  and 19-20mm diameter & 3mm thick
Thanks in advance
Tilo

saro

It isn't persian but an indian quarter paisa of Bhopal princely State : Shah Jahan Begum (1285-1319 AH)
ref Zeno : #177167
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

tjj67

Thank you Saro.

I had been through my Indian States (South Asian Coins KM) with no luck,so thought it may have been an Afghanistan coin

aws22

Thank you Saro for the coin ID:
Dear Tilo, your coin details:
Indian Princely States, Bhopal State, Nawab Shah Jahan Begum, Copper 1/4 Anna, AH 1288, Bhopal mint (AH 1285-1319/1868-1901 AD)
Obverse (First photo):
ش  , Persian letter sheen
بهوبال  , bhopal
ضرب  , zarb
Reverse (Second photo):
هجري  , Hijri  (Islamic lunar calendar)
سنه  ,  sanah  (Year)
۱۲۸۸  , 1288
باو انه  , Pav Anna (1/4 Anna)
Shahjahan Begum (شاه جهان بيكم) an Indian princess, she was the Begum of Bhopal (the ruler of the Islamic principality of Bhopal in central India) for two periods: 1844–60 (her mother acting as regent), and secondly during 1868–1901.
Shahjahan was the only surviving child of Sikandar Begum of Bhopal, sometime Nawab of Bhopal by correct title, and her husband Jahangir Mohammed Khan. She was recognized as ruler of Bhopal in 1844 at the age of six; her mother wielded power as regent during her minority. However, in 1860, her mother Sikandar Begum was recognized by the British as ruler of Bhopal in her own right, and Shahjahan was set aside. Shahjahan succeeded her mother as Begum of Bhopal upon the death of the latter in 1868.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

Shah Jahan Begum on her ascent to the Bhopal throne in1868; she was 30.
shah jahan begum.jpg
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

tjj67

Thank you Saro & Maythem,
I am grateful to be able to attribute the coin.

Appreciative also of the additional information, there is so much to learn in this hobby.
Regards
Tilo

Figleaf

Fun picture of the begum, saro! Those eyes can bore holes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.